Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Basic (And I mean Basic!) Question

jake

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 - 6:38 pm    Post subject: Basic (And I mean Basic!) Question Reply with quote

OK, I'm probably gonna hit y'all pretty hard with my questions in bringing my widget to fruition. For the time being, though, a very simple one (or at least I think so.) What is the equivalent dashboard code for 'document.write' - then, once I get that working, how do I style the result? So, basically: string > CSS style > stylized string. That make sense?
masto

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 - 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no "dashboard code". If you want document.write, use it. The same for CSS. The differences between a Dashboard widget and a web page are minimal, from a purely technical perspective.

That said, you probably don't want document.write. Most widgets manipulate existing structures in the HTML, so you should get familiar with DOM manipulation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
jake

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 - 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masto,

Okay... I will check out the DOM. This is my idea for the widget, though: remember Mad Libs? For those who don'it, check out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Libs

Hopefully I can replicate this in Widget form, to give users the chance to have a little silly fun, without firing up a game. I have it all mapped out in my head... but that doesn't really help. Thanks!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.