Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Self Taught Javascripters

jake

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 - 7:10 pm    Post subject: Self Taught Javascripters Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Any of y'all self-taught in Javascript? If so, any books and/or online resources you'd suggest? I'd totally appreciate it. I have O'Reilly's JavaScript the Definitive Guide but the book is insanely daunting.

Thanks,
-J
Dori

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 - 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Self Taught Javascripters Reply with quote

jake wrote:
Any of y'all self-taught in Javascript? If so, any books and/or online resources you'd suggest? I'd totally appreciate it. I have O'Reilly's JavaScript the Definitive Guide but the book is insanely daunting.

By far, you're not the only person to find JS:TDG to not be geared towards new programmers. Flanagan makes a lot of assumptions about what you already know, and what he can therefore quickly skip over.

I admit to being biased as hell, but I have to recommend the book I co-authored, JavaScript for the WWW: Visual QuickStart Guide. The current edition is the 5th.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
jake

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 - 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to influence your bias, Dori, but I have your book right next to me.
Smile Thank you Dori. I've just got to apply myself!

J
Dori

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 - 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jake wrote:
Not to influence your bias, Dori, but I have your book right next to me.

Cha-ching! Wink

If you have any questions, just ask.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
collin

Posted: Tue May 03, 2005 - 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Self Taught Javascripters Reply with quote

jake wrote:

I've never done any JavaScript before messing with widgets, aside from cut-and-paste for web pages. Right now, I'm just learning as I go along, but I have prior C and PHP knowledge which is proving useful since the programming concepts are similar. I think I'll be looking into JS:TDG very soon.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.