Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

wouldn't mind an email widget

modcaveman

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 12:00 am    Post subject: wouldn't mind an email widget Reply with quote

i'd love it if there was an email widget where you could actually do stuff on it, like read the emails and make replies and that stuff.
kingmob

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not use mail.app? Clicking on the icon or bringing up dashboard is an equal amount of work. Plus, a mail-writing widget would take up quite a lot of space on the dashboard.

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 - 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, that's true, and in fact i did try to use the mail app, but it didn't work out for me. Crying or Very sad i prefer to just log onto gmail.
gnomette

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: wouldn't mind an email widget Reply with quote

modcaveman wrote:
i'd love it if there was an email widget where you could actually do stuff on it, like read the emails and make replies and that stuff.

What I'd like is just a widget to write a quick email.. Not even to read stuff - or maybe just to browse subject lines and delete things from POP servers.
kingmob

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then, use mail.app, or Thunderbird, or GMail, or .Mac, or even telnet, but a widget for this simply makes no sense.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 - 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kingmob wrote:
Well then, use mail.app, or Thunderbird, or GMail, or .Mac, or even telnet, but a widget for this simply makes no sense.

Agreed. Just because the dashboard is a cool new thing it seems some people suddenly want to do everything from inside widgets which is pretty far from Apple's intentions.
Apple wrote:
Before creating a widget, you need to decide what its functionality should be. Be careful to avoid having your widget do everything a full application would do.
---
As a rule, avoid making a widget that your users live in, meaning that they spend considerable time working in it to get serious tasks done. Widgets should provide information with little or no input or should perform simple tasks that a user may want to do often.