Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

dashboard organizer

modcaveman

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 - 12:38 am    Post subject: dashboard organizer Reply with quote

for all us widget fans out there who don't have enough real estate for their widgets, i think we need an organization widget. Very Happy let me desccribe it: it would be a widget that allows you to have different groups of widgets, so if you have a group called "games" you could just click on it and everything but the organization widget and the games would disappear. you could put any widget you want in it, and rearrange them to your liking. then, you might also make a news group with all your news widgets, so you just have to click on the button for it on the organization widget and the game widgets disappear and the news widgets come up. i don't know if this is possible to make, Crying or Very sad , but if it could be created, it would be a very useful widget! Very Happy
pixelsage

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 - 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no widget programmer, but I think its stated in Apple's docs that widgets cannot and will not interfere with each other. I may be wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
maxintosh

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 - 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one way you could do it, but it would require the cooperation of many widget developers. Here's what it would do:
in each widget, you put something like this:
Code:
var interval;
widget.onShow = update;
widget.onHide = stopUpdate;
function update() {
    interval = setInterval(200, "check_if_shown()");
}
function stopUpdate() {
    if (interval) {
        interval = clearInterval();
    }
}
function check_if_shown() {
    var this_widget_name = "trashwidget";
    var widgets_viewable = widget.system('cat ~/library/widgets/viewable.txt', null).outputString;
    widgets_viewable = widgets_viewable.split("\n");
    var show_widget;
    for (i = 0; i < widgets_viewable.length; i++) {
        if (widgets_viewable[i] == this_widget_name) {
            show_widget = true;
            break;
        } else {
            show_widget = false;
        }
    }
    if (!show_widget) {
        document.getElementByTagName('body').style.display = 'none';
    }
}

Then the widget manager would change the ~/library/widgets/viewable.txt file every time you changed widget setups. Then every WidgetManager compliant widget would update itself based on whether or not it was supposed to be shown.

Also, whenever a widget is added to the dashboard, it updates another file. Every, say 2 seconds, the widget manager compares the list to its own private list. If there are any new widgets, it will add them to the currently shown category. When you switch categories, it simply deletes the viewable.txt file and copies the file that lists the new category to the same location.

Of course, it wouldn't work well towards the beginning, but if this gets popular, more people will implement it into the widgets. Once the majority of the widgets are compliant, people would rather use ones that are than ones that aren't.

so yes, it is possible, but requires a helluva lot of work. Maybe a few of us can get together to work on it. It would need its own website by itself to convince developers to add the code, but if done properly, we could take over the world. Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 - 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on this until I started working on the official DBW widget (coming really soon and with lots of cool features!). I had a decent class called "Widget" that could interface with the filesystem to control widgets. My plan was to create an entire replacement dock complete with categories, rearranging, deleting, etc.
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 - 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The widget is looking pretty awesome - now if I can just keep the server up so that people can download it Razz

-m

SERVER UPDATE: We shouldn't have to suffer through MySQL db connect errors now, we've got some load balancing under control. Smile

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.