Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Lounge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

welcome iPod features?

BagOfHammers

Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 - 4:53 am    Post subject: welcome iPod features? Reply with quote

I was just wondering, what features might be interesting in the next generation of iPods (i.e., moving on from iPod Photo), that might motivate people to buy it. Obviously, it already has podcasting...

Personally, I'd like a silver shell to match the powerbook...instead of being white like the iBook.

Or maybe the shell could be of a different shape.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 - 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, some guy has made a wooden iPod by cutting wood into the shape of the original white face plate and gluing it on. (Same thing with the click wheel.) It looks ok, but I've been looking for some time and that seems like the only one that has a change in texture AND color. (Some places paint the faceplates...)

One Japanese guy even made a very heavy metal armor for the iPod photo, designed to protect it in the crowded trains during rush times (yep, it's that tight), but hasn't even used it because he himself doesn't ride the crowded trains.

I wouldn't mind voiding the warranty to replace the faceplate with brushed metal or annodized alluminum or something of the sort, if only that were an option.
Shade

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 - 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-tachable faceplates would be absolutely sweet.
GrannySmith

Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 - 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't like the back of the ipod... shiny metal doesn't look good...

ipod mini has a more polished look

it would be great if the regular ipod has a white back (plastic) or the whole ipod has a brushed metal look (like the mini's but only gray/silver... never liked the other colors... maybe blue... maybe green... but never pink!!!)
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 - 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the colors. I've always thought Apple's color choices to look rather...childish, on the iPods anyway.

It's an expensive product! It should have some class, not look like a toy!

What I've noticed on the back is that finger oils tend to leave unsightly marks? Some people have reported the convenience of using the iPod as a mirror, though. All brushed metal or aluminum like the PowerBook, and I'd buy one. Still, despite merging iPod and photo, they are still Dentyne white....

It might be a "visual market" kind of thing, the iPod being famous and all with it's white design. If there were more colors of the regular iPod, it may become more difficult to identify (in public) and what not. Still, I bet one of the top reasons people buy other mp3 players, other than price, is the color preference. It is, after all, portable - and appearance is often valued for portable products.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I like about the iPod is the support for Apple Lossless. Are there any others out there that support that level of quality?
Shade

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interesting article on how 'featuritis' is taking over every product out there. It basically means that a company to try and get the better product that their competitors tries to add more and more features until the product is so over-whelmed with features that it is a nightmare to use and doesn't do easily what you bought it for.
This is where the iPod shines. Instead of adding features like FM Tuner etc. Apple have focused on making it easier to use and better at what it does rather than adding another feature onto it.
And you have to hold an iPod really. It just feels so good in your hand, so genuine. It's not that cheap plasticy feel that you tend to get with electronic devices these days, it's a nice pleasing-to-the-touch metal.
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it white. White is attractive and clean. And leave the back metal, it looks great (especially on new iPods!).
BagOfHammers

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree. Generally, it is better to do things better than to do more things worse. But even the iPod doesn't feel perfect for me. I can feel the quality when I hold one, but I've always felt it was excellent, but not as solid quality as I would like, because I am VERY PICKY.

A lot of people talk about how a certain amount of weight to give it substance/presence is good...I totally disagree. Weight is weight, weight means it'll hit the ground with more force while the hardware itself is not that much stronger, if and when you drop it. But it's a problem of wholeness. It's kind of like the difference between a computer monitor with a defective pixel and one that doesn't, a bowl of soup with and without a fly, and such, in terms of being nearly there but very very different.

More features would only be welcome if they do them right, and it doesn't mess with the primary function of the iPod.
Shade

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have a 3G iPod, which I love to pieces. The front is entirely white, and I prefer the look of it to the 4G iPods. It sits perfectly next to my iBook and completely looks the part.
I whole-heatredly agree with the daft idea of video on an iPod. It is a ridiculous notion IMO to even consider viewing a movie on a screen that small. If that is what you are looking for, buy a PSP and get PSPWare from Nullriver. Awesome combo Smile
BagOfHammers

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Even the 4G iPod seems to match the iBook pretty well, because, it is still *mostly* white. Even the PowerBook comes with white+grey ac adaptor and other connectors...if Apple makes a silver iPod, it would make sense, because then the white one could match the iMac, iBook, etc, and the silver can match the Power line.

And, unlike what I feel when I hold the iPod, the PowerBook feels complete and solid in quality. Silver helps, I'd think. Shiny too.
Shade

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 - 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never actually held a PowerBook, but I have felt a Power Mac G5 and that just feels so genuine, so professional it's un-believeable Razz
I agree with the silver iPod - maybe make it a deal to get it when you buy a PowerBook or Power Mac.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes so much sense I'm surprised it hasn't been done. No rumors about it either.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 - 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shade wrote:
I have never actually held a PowerBook, but I have felt a Power Mac G5 and that just feels so genuine, so professional it's un-believeable Razz
I agree with the silver iPod - maybe make it a deal to get it when you buy a PowerBook or Power Mac.

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0501briefly2.html

Think Secret released this in January. I wonder what became of it?
BagOfHammers

Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 - 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another article on a fifth generation iPod.

This one doesn't seem to favor the idea of it being silver, although there seem to be some major (positive) changes and a possible price drop (?).

http://www.dvhardware.net/article6296.html
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next