Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Lounge

iPod users: What headphones do you use?

Poll Results: iPod users: What do you use to listen to your iPod (any model) (besides your ears)?
The included white headphones.
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Inexpensive (or otherwise, less than audiophile) replacement (such as wrap arounds or normal earphones/headphones).
38%
 38%  [ 5 ]
Audiophile quality headphones/earphones.
30%
 30%  [ 4 ]
Primarily speakers (any quality).
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I don't listen to my iPod directly OR my iPod is strictly decoration.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 13

BagOfHammers

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 11:51 am    Post subject: iPod users: What headphones do you use? Reply with quote

Please only participate in the poll if you are an iPod user (all iPod models).

However, of course, everyone is welcome to reply.

I'm just curious, especially as the white iPod earphones are supposed to be one of the visual signals of iPod, but it's not like they're $500 Shure ones, and the quality is not of the sort I could appreciate. But then, they are obviously more portable than most audiophile cans.

Thanks.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about the long text in the poll options causing the percentage meters to act weird.
Shade

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 - 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Sennheiser MX500 earbuds. For 20 it's an absolute bargain in my opinion. They have much better sound quality over the included iPod earphones, I mean, you can actually hear bass! :O The only gripe I have with them is that when you put them on full volume, you get a bit of 'over-drive' from the treble.
jyee

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 - 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use sennheiser hd280 pro's... just about the best closed circumaural headphones around.

i use the white earbuds as onstage monitors when performing because they have decent quality, but let a lot of outside sound in so i can get a good blend of monitor mix and live stage sound.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. From what I gather, the HD280 type are indeed the best closed circumaural headphones. Great for monitoring, I'd think, especially if there is a bit of noise about you.... But then, they wouldn't be so good when you want to hear much of the outside too.

The good thing about the included earbuds, from what I hear, is that they are pretty decent for being included earbuds.

BTW, from my "research," it sounds like the HD600s are considered superior to the HD650s, on the charge that the 650s have a colorized tone. The point was that for audiophiles that just want good sound, 650s will be top-notch...but for anyone who wants true fidelity (i.e., monitoring professionals, etc.,) the 600s are still the popular choice.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shade:

I have never personally tried any Sennheiser earbuds, but I do know that Sennheiser, for some reason, is just a bargain in general. That is, many models are better than competitors' that cost 2+ times the price. They could probably charge a lot more, but don't tell them that!

It does sound like your earbuds are bound to have some trouble when you push em all the way. Generally, sound quality is best when it is perfectly audible but not at all "loud"...and technically, anything over 70dB is supposed to be damaging to your ears, especially if the sound is from so close to your ears (or, inside even). I'm not trying to be the health-freak busy-body, but it stands to reason that Sennheiser would not necessarily engineer the headphones/earphones to keep up performance above 70dB...I think you'd find the same decrease in quality at high volumes on all brands, though.

For kicks: World's best headphones ever->
http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/*ws4d-db-query-QuickShow.ws4d?SNORPHEUS

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ces200211.htm

There's only 300 of them, and I'm not sure if they are all sold or not. Not very affordable. HD600s + amp is probably good enough for most audiophiles...although even that won't begin to compare.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.