Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central
Goto page 1, 2  Next

The Dashboard tips thread!

BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 5:13 am    Post subject: The Dashboard tips thread! Reply with quote

I'm sure many people know this kind of stuff already, but I imagine to some people it may be useful...

Slow-motion dashboard: when calling up or sending away the dash, press shift as you press F12. (Don't have to hold shift down, just press them both at the same time.)

Access the widget list thingy (that pops up along the bottom) without pressing the "+": Instead, while in Dashboard, press Command and "=" simultaneously. Same thing works for closing.

Close widgets the easy way: hold down the Option key while the cursor hovers over a widget for the close button to appear. (Keep holding Option while closing.)

Refresh widgets the easy way: hold down Command and R after clicking/interacting with the widget you want to refresh.

For cycling through some of the stuff on the weather widget, press Command, Option, and click on the widget at the same time. Continue to cycle. (The widget will say "Nowhere" instead of the appropriate city, but reverts when it is refreshed.)

That's all I've come across for the time being. Please tell me if there are more neat tricks.
galendw

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding the Shift key while pressing the '+' to show the widget shelf or the 'X' to hide it does it in slo-mo.

Holding the Shift key while pressing the 'X' button to close widget does it in slo-mo.

Dragging a widget onto the dashboard from the shelf while holding the Shift key shows it in, you guessed it, slo-mo.

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galendw wrote:
Dragging a widget onto the dashboard from the shelf while holding the Shift key shows it in, you guessed it, slo-mo.

Nice one!
I've always wanted to take a closer look at the fantastic dragging-effect!
Thanx!
BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all those...

There sure is a lot of slomo...
maxintosh

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 - 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there's no slow-mo ripple effect. I would've paid another $129 for Tiger just for that. (well, no, I wouldn't have.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
BagOfHammers

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 - 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately, I don't think there is a way for that. More effects of the ripple would be nice too...

I DID try to shift+load a widget in slomo and then cmd+r to refresh it while it was loading...I got some fizz and a big black box! That's not very impressive, though.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 - 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed that pressing the option key to hover over and close a widget often results in blinking close buttons and being difficult to use? I find that pressing command+= to call up the close button easier.

BTW, this is a Dashboard tips thread, so it's not limited to these kind of keyboard combos. I'd appreciate tips for dashboard in general too - you know, the creative stuff you guys do to organize or tweak your dash.
Da_Vinci

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 - 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess some of you already know it but I just found out myself that you can even paste complex terms onto Apple's "Calculator Widget" like:
(12.46+45.23)*123
Returns: 7095.87
BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 - 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thread on this site was discussing the command + left/right combo for navigating the Dashboard bar that comes up at the bottom.

So, command + = can be used to call up or dismiss the Dashboard bar, and command + left/right can be used to navigate it.

As far as I know, you still have to click on the icons to call up widgets...it would be neat if the Dashboard were totally keyboard-operated, or at least capable of being that way.
jonlink

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 - 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful, the apple's widget calculator has issues -- 1+2*3 should equal 7 (following order of operations), but apple's widget gives you 9, which is wrong.
Da_Vinci

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 - 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonlink wrote:
careful, the apple's widget calculator has issues -- 1+2*3 should equal 7 (following order of operations), but apple's widget gives you 9, which is wrong.

Of course you have to put the 2*3 into brackets else it will be calculated from the beginning of the term to the end! Very Happy ("2*3+1" works well)
It's everything but understood that * and / are not calculated before + and - but that's how the programming language does (I mean: calculate term from left to right) - Objective-C does it in the same way!

But I don't think that 1+2*3=9 happens because of the programming language (I think it's just a casual parallel).
If you typed 1+2*3=9 in the calculator the term's letters one by one:
type "1", then "+", then "2", then "*", then "3", then "enter"

it will - you guessed it - return "9"

I think pasting a term onto Calculator.wdgt just automates typing every letter.
jonlink

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 - 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brackets make it work, but it shouldn't have to be in brackets. a calculator that calculates left to right is like a text editor that put words any place it wants. Wink
Da_Vinci

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 - 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonlink wrote:
brackets make it work, but it shouldn't have to be in brackets. a calculator that calculates left to right is like a text editor that put words any place it wants. Wink

I agree in total!

And I just tried to find out why Apple's Calculator does it this way Wink

I think it is just because the calculator calculates the term in the same way as if you clicked the buttons one by one.
If you wanted to calc the term 1+2*3 by clicking it in Calculator.wdgt you would have to re-position the term to 2*3+1, too.
Get my point?
It calculates in the way a simple physical calculator would do it!
BagOfHammers

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 - 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the calculator should work like real scientific calculators, because such a difference in operation could get people misled. To me, that just makes it a very inefficient calculator...not working as it should, requiring brackets, etc.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 - 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just my imagination or was this thread moved from the Lounge? If it was, I'm sorry, admins! I didn't read the forum descriptions well enough.

Or am I just dreaming?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next