Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Comments and Suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

"security"

jonlink

Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 - 10:05 am    Post subject: "security" Reply with quote

i didn't find an answer to this anywhere, but maybe i'm missing it. it's a two part question:

what are the concerns when removing links for "security reasons" and) if they are valid concerns why doesn't any other download site share that concern (for example apple or macupdate)?

however you want to run your site is fine, but it just doesn't make sense. it especially doesn't make sense that you'd insist on having people upload their widgets when you could be saving bandwidth. it is also annoying because it slows rapid developement, but that's another thing altogether.

thanks
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 - 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is our goal to provide the safest, most reliable download environment for widgets on the internet. We established the approval process in the Showcase so that we could check each widget for malicious intent in addition to functionality.

The biggest problem for the forums is that a linked file could really be anything. They might think they're getting a useful widget when in fact it's a malicious application. This is a problem for any site, really, though with our Showcase, we maintain control over uploaded files so they can't be substituted and we make sure they're safe.

Many other download sites do check submissions, though we want to go above and beyond the expectations for such a site by offering complete security and trust. We're not going to hide behind a "We are not responsible..."-type disclaimer.
jonlink

Posted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 - 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can hardly imagine that you folks check every line of code, which is the only way to be sure something isn't malicious. Someone could hide a line of code in a long js file that only fires after the twelth use or something. my point is there is only so much you can do and to realize that any sense of security is only wishful thinking.

that said, i understand and respect your choice. it's just i see things differently.

thanks for the reply,
jon

ps- if you don't maybe you should have that disclaimer... better safe than sorry.
cerberus

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, there needs to be a separate showcase here for development widgets. I learned with my first widget that it is hard to erase the first impression of users once you submit a widget that is under-developed... no matter what the version number says.

Yesterday I forgot about the rule... I was seeking beta testers, not users yet. I think that is a standard and proper way to develop any software.

I notice the enforcement is consistent but the method of enforcement is not. Sometimes a link is replaced but the post remains mostly intact... Sometimes an entire post containing a link is deleted without a trace.

So if there were a place here for alpha and beta widgets that is separate from the main showcase, I would feel a lot more comfortable about submitting a work in progress.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
jonlink

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that actually makes a lot of sense. if this is supposed to be a site designed not just to showcase widgets, but to design them there ought to be a setup specifically for the design. and it ought to have a much quicker turn around then the showcase, which is *not* seriously slow, but is way too slow for developement purposes.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, you've got a point.

What if we created a forum where you could link to a widget (or perhaps even attach it to a post) with the purpose of finding beta testers and getting feedback?

Oh and cerberus, I didn't personally remove that comment but I believe the rationale behind its removal was that the post was completely off-topic and we were trying to guide the thread back on-topic. So the link wasn't the reason the post was removed, it was just a coincidence.
cerberus

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PM99, I hope you carry through on this idea. And I will try to keep my posts more on topic.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a few more people want it and post in support, we may do just that.
jonlink

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*please* chime in on this people!
maxintosh

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**chime**

I'd love that feature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Da_Vinci

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 - 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Cerberus - You have my vote!

@ Admins - Please do it!
Ludge

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 - 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great idea as long as it is obviously labelled as a pre-release area so as not to confuse people.
KaiiaK

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 - 3:51 am    Post subject: I needed someone to help with my widget, but link was remove Reply with quote

so no help so far.

I support a way to have unfinished widgets not in te showcase
jonlink

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 - 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll say this. as the site is set up it's more showcase specific, meaning that the emphasis is not on the developer community. my fear is that it leads people to think of this as more of a place to post widgets and less of a place to get help & feedback etc (which is has been to me).
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 - 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonlink wrote:
i'll say this. as the site is set up it's more showcase specific, meaning that the emphasis is not on the developer community. my fear is that it leads people to think of this as more of a place to post widgets and less of a place to get help & feedback etc (which is has been to me).

That was a side effect I was afraid might happen when we became DashboardWidgets as part of DashboardDeveloper joining forces with TheDashboarder. We could semi-separate the two sites, making DashboardWidgets.com point directly to the Showcase and have DashboardDev.com consist of the forums, news, and other content, plus a version of the showcase.

DBD could have a slightly altered color scheme to differentiate between the two and they'd be completely integrated so that you only have to register once. This was actually our original plan but it got put on the back burner.

As we're all working on iC3, the next version of our GarageBand community, this change won't happen in the near future. However, it's something to think about.

Now, on to the most important part of this message... We've added the originally requested Widget Testing forum:

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=10
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next