Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

Mystery Apple.com Poster??????

efcjimbo

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 2:47 pm    Post subject: Mystery Apple.com Poster?????? Reply with quote

I am a bit confused at the moment, I had created a few widgets and put them on my site for people to download. I hadn't got around to uploading the widgets to Apples download section, but I was browsing the site and I found my widgets posted.

Someone a had taken screenshots, wrote a description and uploaded them. They are linked to my site and presented exactly as I would have done if I was going to post them on Apples site.

I am not pissed off. I am just confused about whose gone to the bother of creating screenshots, descriptions and uploading my wee widgets.

Is this a fan or does Apple search around and post widgets themselves. Has this happened to anyone else?

And one other question, I haven't posted any widgets on Apples site yet. Do you need a username and password to post updates to your widgets and does this mean I am screwed when I want to update a widget. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
GrannySmith

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same situation here..

my widget reached number 2 in the top 50 so i don't make a problem of it Razz

if i make an update then i'll mail apple myself and explain the situation
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn... no wonder they've got more widgets than we do! Razz
Ludge

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's someone from Apple, they emailed asking me to submit by battery widget. Then I found that AdiumList had been submitted when I went to add it myself.
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder who the mystery submitter is… *spooky voices* I do have one question though, was the Apple e-mail a form letter type thing or was it more of a personal request from an employee there?

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludge wrote:
I don't think it's someone from Apple, they emailed asking me to submit by battery widget. Then I found that AdiumList had been submitted when I went to add it myself.

I think the big issue with that is when Apple sent the email asking you. If it was after WWDC, I'll bet you're right and it is someone else.

However, if it was before, I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if finding widgets became part of Apple's post-WWDC crusade to make their site the definitive resource.
twisted

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like apple's site, DBW is much better.
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks twisted - compliments like that always mean all the world to us. We all try to take pride in our work and like to do our best to give our users the best experience possible. Smile

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
Da_Vinci

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twisted wrote:
I don't like apple's site, DBW is much better.

I have to totally agree with you! Flowers Very Happy
efcjimbo

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 - 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me thinks it was Apple because of the Magic 1000th number reached today and the professional manor in which it was done. The screenshots were shot on and the description was altered from my description targeted at blueboys.

They wanted the 1000 story today to go with the mighty mouse release and its dashboard feature.

I sure of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
cerberus

Posted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 - 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few lucky ones didn't have to go through the hassle of making a web page (with Apple's mandatory "how to install a widget" text included). So I don't think what they did was -100%- selfish.

cerberus
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.