Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Testing

Testers requested: ampsig/iTunes/dynamic signature widget

PCheese

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 - 4:09 pm    Post subject: Testers requested: ampsig/iTunes/dynamic signature widget Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I need some testers for a new widget that supports dynamically created signatures from http://ampsig.com/ .

ampsig is a PHP script that creates images on the fly to display up-to-the-second information from your computer, notably currently playing music and computer uptime. It uses a highly customizable "scheme" system to allow for many different types of signatures. It can be used in forums (see below), email, blogs, other web pages...

In order to keep information up-to-date, there are "data clients" for Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows. The newest is this widget.

Features of this widget:

Uses the iTunes notification system so it is always up to date without having to waste resources by polling.
    Schemes for ampsig support transparency, which looks stunning in Dashboard

If you think it looks cool and want to check it out, you need to A. sign up for the ampsig public beta test and B. use the widget to update your sig. Here are the detailed steps:

Known issues with the widget:

It has no icon (for the widget dock).
    The loading animation is ugly.
    I have to replace ampersands to the word "and".

Thank you!!

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 - 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat idea, but try to make it lower profile (large images tend to distract from real content, and thus make things very annoying for the average reader).

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
PCheese

Posted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 - 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true.

The one I had in my signature before was meant to be a more flashy example, but now I've changed it to one of the lowest profile ones we have. It's just to show the possibilities really are endless.