Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Development

no icon, widget won't open

falcoboy7

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 - 10:18 am    Post subject: no icon, widget won't open Reply with quote

I'm trying to build this widget and I keep running into a problem. When I install it on my computer, it goes into dashboard, but the icon is this weird blue box and when I click on it to open the widget, it doesn't open (gives the error beep).

Anybody have any idea what this is?
cerberus

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 - 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the plist file is not correct.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
falcoboy7

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 - 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through the info.plist and version.plist and modified them after apple example widgets but still no go Sad I'm really clueless on this one.
galendw

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 - 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure you actually have an Icon.png and Default.png file.

The make sure that the CFBundleIdentifier is different for your widget.

If all of that is right, then I'll have to see the code to help.

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 - 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this happened to me once, I think I uninstalled the widget and then reinstalled it.
twisted

Posted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 - 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this happened to me once, I think I uninstalled the widget and then reinstalled it. Does you icon by any chance happen to not utilize the standard rectangular shape?
falcoboy7

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 - 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that was part of it...

I just realized that the icon was 81 x 81 lol

However, I changed it to 80 x 80 but still won't work. When you click the icon to open it, it plays the error noise. hmmmm
cerberus

Posted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 - 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest to disable or replace each component of the widget until you find the problem.. E.g. remove the references to the JS file or any external functions in your HTML.. does it work now ? .. Then get rid of the CSS...(and the reference to it in HTML).. The most basic widget function" :displaying Default .png should not require a CSS file. You could have simply swapped out the icon to find out that.

Another strategy I use more often is to go through my backups until I find one that is free of the bug I am looking for.

If you still can't find the problem, I suggest you build a new "Hello World" template and then start pasting in your code,making sure it runs after each change.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
gck

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 - 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerberus wrote:

Another strategy I use more often is to go through my backups until I find one that is free of the bug I am looking for.

If you are not already using one (and are comfortable with the command line), I'd suggest using a simple revision control system (like rcs): It will save you a lot of time and is more effecient than keeping different versions in seperate folders. Especially if your widgets become more complex, this will be very useful...
falcoboy7

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 - 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I finally got it.

Using your suggestions, I figured it out that it was the default.png and default_reverse.png that were causing the problems. After fiddling with it a little I realized that there is an apparent difference between Photoshop PNG and Regular PNG (I had it in the Photoshop one). I went back into photoshop and saved them all as .png using the save for web feature and now it works.

Thanks for all your help guys!
cerberus

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 - 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falcoboy..

I am glad you got it worked out.

gck..

I am not sure how I feel about the command line interface. In this case, there are already too many and I have not heard of rcs... I will look into it, thanks for the tip.

cerberus
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.