Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

Empty Trash Widget!

aristotle1990

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 8:25 am    Post subject: Empty Trash Widget! Reply with quote

Boo yah! A widget to view the number of files in the trash, the amount of space they take up, and an option to empty it!!!!!

Shizzle wizzle!

Somebody better do this widget!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Trash and Junk Meter?
Da_Vinci

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
Like Trash and Junk Meter?

LOL
aristotle1990

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sob...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aristotle1990 wrote:
sob...

Could you clarify that? Were you sobbing or were you referring to me?
aristotle1990

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would I be referring to you? I was Crying or Very sad ing.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, just checking, sob is an acronym as well.
cerberus

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trash monitor widgets I tried totally ignore my external drives, but it's possible for a widget to monitor external drives.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
jonlink

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am wondering why people like/need trash widgets? what is it that you get from it that the trash in the dock doesn't offer?
cerberus

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dock does not tell me what percentage of my disk space is being used by the ".trashes" folders on my various drives.. Does yours ? The "Get Info" or "Calculate All Sizes" Finder options unfortunately seem to work up to a point... and assuming they did work properly, they still do not show volume information.

It is very important to know how much space on each mounted volume will be liberated by emptying the trash. Apple offers us no convenient way to monitor this statistic. (Terminal.app does not count!)

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
neoWave

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerberus wrote:
My dock does not tell me what percentage of my disk space is being used by the ".trashes" folders on my various drives.. Does yours ?

cerberus

And why exactly is it so important to know that? The Trash isn't a file storage location but merely a place where you can trade in redundant files and folders for free space: You drag them to the Trash and you empty it.
cerberus

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neoWave wrote:
cerberus wrote:
My dock does not tell me what percentage of my disk space is being used by the ".trashes" folders on my various drives.. Does yours ?

cerberus

And why exactly is it so important to know that? The Trash isn't a file storage location but merely a place where you can trade in redundant files and folders for free space: You drag them to the Trash and you empty it.

I must disagree. If that were the case, there would be no need for the Trash.. The function to erase files immediately is also available as a Unix command. Imagine the number of keystrokes and mouse clicks that replacing the Trash with this could save a Mac user over a lifetime ! But deleting files directly is not a recommended or popular procedure for the average Mac user.

cerberus
neoWave

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerberus wrote:
neoWave wrote:
cerberus wrote:

cerberus

I must disagree. If that were the case, there would be no need for the Trash.. The function to erase files immediately is also available as a Unix command. Imagine the number of keystrokes and mouse clicks that replacing the Trash with this could save a Mac user over a lifetime ! But deleting files directly is not a recommended or popular procedure for the average Mac user.

cerberus

The Trash folder exists so you have the ability to place deleted files back. It happens over time that you accidentally remove a file, and when you do it's nice to have a safety net (the Trash). Also it gives you the opportunity to check what it is exactly you wanted to delete etc.

But like I said before the Trash wasn't designed to be a storage place where you keep your files day in day out. It's just a short stop before deleting it forever.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.