Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

Scrabble Widget

Bloogersnigen

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 - 10:53 pm    Post subject: Scrabble Widget Reply with quote

Could somene make a widget that if you type in your leters for scrabble of quibler or any qord game it will give you every combination of words. I don't know how to make widgets but this would be awesome

Thanks
andrethegiant

Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 - 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea, i might look into that....
purvisa

Posted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 - 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen two anagram widgets already, though one doesn't generate every combination in a list. The problem is that if you want every <i>word</i> that can be made, it has to check a dictionary (which takes time and space), and if you want every <i>combination</i>, you quickly get a long list (which can be unwieldy).

Remember that the number of combinations of <i>n</i> letters in the factorial of <i>n</i>. That means that by the time you have 6 letters, you have 720 combinations, and a full tray of 7 letters in Scrabble, ignoring any intersecting tiles, yields 5040.

The numbers can be reduced in some cases by looking at unique permutations (if you have the letter <i>e</i> three times, it is the same letter, regardless of which specific tile is used in position x of a word), but that, again, takes more coding and more clock cycles. Actually, that could be solved by sorting an array containing all results before eliminating duplicates, which would be sequential at that point.

Still, it could be a looooong list once the number of letters climbs, but it is easy enough to code.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.