Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Comments and Suggestions

All of the Apple Dashboard examples

Powermacguy

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 - 5:21 pm    Post subject: All of the Apple Dashboard examples Reply with quote

can we we ever have the examples from the Developer examples in the showcase?
pm
Administrator

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 - 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As in someone uploading Apple's sample widgets to the Showcase?
Powermacguy

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 - 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or having a section where only they are there or having a new section just for widget templates/developing widgets
pm
Administrator

Posted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 - 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't distribute Apple's widgets without their permission, that's why we reject any widgets that are simply modifications of a current Apple widget (like World Clocks in other colors).

As for widgets under development, that's the purpose of sub-1.0 releases and a and b version markers.
purvisa

Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 - 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Powermacguy—and he can correct me if I am wrong (in which case I will take credit for this idea)—is proposing an under-the-hood gallery in which people working on widgets, or those who have interesting code to share, can display that code (possibly the entire widget code) here on the site.

While anyone can open up the package and look inside after downloading a widget, discussion becomes difficult when everybody has to download it in order to comment.

I've worked out some things along the way with my first widget, but I wager that someone has a better method than mine for one or two things. I would love a chance to open up my code within a forum designed for getting feedback.

Finally (I know this is a long reply), it seems that one of the better ways to implement this is by linking it from widget pages. People could click on a widget in the showcase and see (maybe it could even be flagged in the showcase) the code online, provided the developer wanted it done that way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.