Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Testing

ElectionWATCH Widget

DaleAxelrod

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 - 7:11 pm    Post subject: ElectionWATCH Widget Reply with quote

ElectionWATCH

We have been developing a widget we hope will help generate awareness of and support for legislation requiring a voter-verifiable paper ballot in time for the 2006 Congressional elections.

However the guy who has been writing the code can't seem to get it right---we want it to countdown exactly to 12:00 am on November 7, 2006 but it is currently an hour off for some odd reason.

Would someone be able to troubleshoot this if I sent it to them and help us get it right?

Thanks,

Dale Axelrod
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
galendw

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 - 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: ElectionWATCH Widget Reply with quote

DaleAxelrod wrote:
We have been developing a widget we hope will help generate awareness of and support for legislation requiring a voter-verifiable paper ballot in time for the 2006 Congressional elections.

However the guy who has been writing the code can't seem to get it right---we want it to countdown exactly to 12:00 am on November 8, 2006 but it is currently an hour off for some odd reason.

Would someone be able to troubleshoot this if I sent it to them and help us get it right?

You should consider the changed daylight savings times. I'm not sure if that would affect it, but you should at least look into it.

Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 - 9:21 pm    Post subject: ElectionWATCH Widget Reply with quote

Yes, our coder said it was daylight savings time.

I don't understand why it shouldn't be calling the user's system clock (and thus counting hours, minutes, and seconds down to exactly 12:00 am midnite each day according to the user's system clock whether it's set to daylight savings time or not).

Dale Axelrod

PS. Also anyone out there able to help turn this dashboard widget into a Konfabulator widget? ...it's a pretty simple countdown clock we'd like to broadcast far and wide.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Dori

Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 - 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale -

Does the widget work in Safari? Does it work in Dashboard on other machines?

Dealing with the time and date via JavaScript is notoriously finicky for a variety of reasons, from daylight savings to the ridiculously high percentage of people who don't have their time and location set properly.

When you say "our coder said it was daylight savings time," what was it your coder said was daylight savings time? If his computer is an hour off, then it's an hour off -- but that won't affect your widget on other Macs.

If he's still having trouble I could take a quick look at it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.