Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Lounge

Password Website

Poll Results: The website described below is a...
Good Idea
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Bad Idea
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 4

andrethegiant

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 - 10:03 pm    Post subject: Password Website Reply with quote

This isn't about widgets, but that's ok cause this is the lounge.

I'm getting excited about creating my first public website, and I thought of something that might be a good idea, or it might not. My idea was a website that you can input all your urls, usernames, and passwords for other websites and such, so if you're on someone elses computer and you don't remember your password for one account, you log into my website with your master password and from there you have all your passwords for the websites you choose.

In short, this website will be keychain access in web form.

Please tell me if this is a good idea or not... I am a bit worried about security in this case. Also please tell me if you think this would be popular.

Thanks a bunch,
JB
Dori

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 - 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Password Website Reply with quote

andrethegiant wrote:
Please tell me if this is a good idea or not... I am a bit worried about security in this case. Also please tell me if you think this would be popular.

What's the advantage of this over a Gmail account? Password protected, can be read from anywhere, etc.

Any time you get a new password, just email it to your Gmail account.

Sorry to be a wet blanket...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
andrethegiant

Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 - 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, in that case, people can email themselves anything for later use. They could email themselves all of their bookmarks, but del.icio.us makes it much easier. This would be like del.icio.us for passwords, but with a better design (and no tagging needed).
purvisa

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 - 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that security is my concern, too. My sense is that if something is important enough that you might need it, you can memorize the password.

For people who refuse to do that, there are almost always options to have forgotten passwords mailed to users, and Dori's mention of Gmail works well there too.

Finally, flash drives.

I would not use the site, nor can I find a compelling reason to suggest it to others. Then again, I use a laptop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
jtbandes

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 - 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Password Website Reply with quote

Dori wrote:
andrethegiant wrote:

What's the advantage of this over a Gmail account? Password protected, can be read from anywhere, etc.

Any time you get a new password, just email it to your Gmail account.

Sorry to be a wet blanket...

I do just that, and it works fine.

I think that a bunch of people would use it, but it could be a BIG security issue. I mean, if you get someone's password, you would have access to a ton of information.
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 - 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like is an open-source password tracker that you can upload to your own server. That would make me feel better -- and be useful.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.