Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design
Goto page 1, 2  Next

How do you DESIGN a widget?

johnkimb5

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 1:17 am    Post subject: How do you DESIGN a widget? Reply with quote

How do you make the widget's images/bacgrounds?
Well if not widgets, just any kind of image.

I'm talking about "how to make those cool images"

***For example: the Dashboard WIDGETS's icon (this site).*** ---There is the icon and there it is like a light is shining on it (the top part is lighter)---

=What program do you need to create those kind of images?

=How do you create those kinds of images?
Da_Vinci

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: How do you DESIGN a widget? Reply with quote

johnkimb5 wrote:
How do you make the widget's images/bacgrounds?
Well if not widgets, just any kind of image.

Watercolor! And for Black & White pencils! *just kidding*
Quote:
I'm talking about "how to make those cool images"

Adobe Photoshop!
Quote:
***For example: the Dashboard WIDGETS's icon (this site).*** ---There is the icon and there it is like a light is shining on it (the top part is lighter)---

That "light reflection" is "just" a white layer with some trancparency and an alphamask with a gradient, if you understand what I mean Wink
Ask Google for "Photoshop (Glossy OR Shiny) (Sphere OR ball OR button)"
(without the quotes of course!)
Quote:
=What program do you need to create those kind of images?

"Photoshop" if you might want to spend US$599.-
or "Gimp" for free (don't know it very well)
Quote:
=How do you create those kinds of images?

Of course it's not enough to have the graphic tools - you need practice and you need to have an eye for plasticity and of course it demands some skill.

(There are plenty Photoshop forums out there)
gandreas

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widgetarium http://projects.gandreas.com/widgetarium/ also has built in tools for creating a variety of graphic elements for widgets, including the basic panel (front and back), icon, and buttons.
[/url]
jtbandes

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macromedia Fireworks is what I use.
Niles: "I most certainly will not!"
-Frasier
friedguy

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 - 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really?! Macromedia Fireworks! I never knew what that program was actually for. My school just gave me the whole MX suite until I graduate. Maybe I won't have to buy Photoshop afterall.

*goes in apps folder and opens fireworks* Very Happy
twisted

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 - 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireworks is the macromedia equivalent to photoshop, but not as good in my mind.
Dori

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 - 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twisted wrote:
fireworks is the macromedia equivalent to photoshop, but not as good in my mind.

It all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to scan in and touch up photographs, use Photoshop. If you want the simplest app that makes great looking PNGs, use Fireworks.

Widgets are all about PNGs, so I use Fireworks.

Now I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Adobe doesn't kill it off after the merger...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Hobbes

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 - 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Photoshop.

You can use this tips.

Good luck
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 - 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my favorite tutorial for creating Aqua images.
http://www.interfacelift.com/icons-mac/articles/bice/aquatutorial.php
You need Adobe Photoshop.
jtbandes

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 - 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just visited 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , and talked to the guy in the company store; he surprised the everything out of me when he said that with all availible plugins, The GIMP is better than Photoshop!?!?! Surprised
galendw

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 - 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtbandes wrote:
I just visited 1 Infinite Loop, Cupertino, CA Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy , and talked to the guy in the company store; he surprised the everything out of me when he said that with all availible plugins, The GIMP is better than Photoshop!?!?! Surprised

Personally I have to agree with him. I prefer the GIMP to Photoshop for a number of reasons. Mainly, because of the plugins, it's FREE!, and although it only runs in X11, it has a well laid-out interface that makes it easy to work with.

My only complaint is that it doesn't come with enough layer styles, but plugins can fix this.

Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 - 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I appreciate GIMP for being so well priced, I use Adobe design applications on a daily basis. The Adobe Photoshop workflow just fits in so nicely with InDesign and Illustrator, I'd never give it up. If you're doing just photo creation, etc. stick with GIMP Smile.

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
nvk

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Gimp app is a pretty good application only if you use Linux or other free OS with native X11. In my widget work i use Adobe Photoshop.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
CruftForce7

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I've been using Adobe Illustrator for about 90% of my widget graphics, and only using Photoshop for touch-up work. It's a lot easier to fiddle around with design concepts using vector graphics than raster graphics, and the graphical style that Apple recommends is easy to follow in Illustrator. I'm not sure if there's a comparable freeware/open source application available, though; I'm fortunate that the group I work for owns a copy, and that I'm allowed to use it for stuff like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photoshop and Fireworks are actually completely differently designed programs behind a similar interface. Fireworks is far more vector oriented, and Photoshop more bitmap oriented. I personally prefer working in vectors, so I prefer Fireworks, but I can see how pixel-perfectionists might prefer Photoshop.

The GIMP's features-to-price ratio is infinitely greater than Photoshop's. Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next