Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

Latin-English translator

modcaveman

Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 - 11:05 pm    Post subject: Latin-English translator Reply with quote

Anyone up to making a Latin to English and English to Latin widget? Flowers Very Happy
Powermacguy

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if anyone knows of any web interfaces i might be able to mod and make one
aristotle1990

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no web interface. I've searched everywhere, and it appears that there's not enough interest to create a program to translate Latin, a highly structured, ostensibly easy to parse language.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there are a number of sites that offer Latin<-->English dictionaries and at least one translator (Babelfish offers Latin translation).

I would say that it is easy to parse within certain limits. While it lacks many of the exceptions and grammatical quirks of modern languages, its loose control of word order (the sentence-final placement of the verb is custom rather than rule, and only a few structures such as "as...as" require any strict word order) makes parsing more complex, especially if we are not dealing with long marks, which are not actually in Classical Latin.

The similarity of certain forms (notably many genetive and dative singular forms or genetive singular and nominative plural) also complicates the parsing. I do have a database for verb practice. It requires a verb that is regular in both languages, but it will determine conjugation and create all Latin forms and their English equivalents (including relevant pronouns). Still, that is a long way from what you are talking about.

p.s. I love that Aristotle1990 is suggesting Latin rather than Koine Greek.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
aristotle1990

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purvisa wrote:
Actually, there are a number of sites that offer Latin<-->English dictionaries and at least one translator (Babelfish offers Latin translation).

I would say that it is easy to parse within certain limits. While it lacks many of the exceptions and grammatical quirks of modern languages, its loose control of word order (the sentence-final placement of the verb is custom rather than rule, and only a few structures such as "as...as" require any strict word order) makes parsing more complex, especially if we are not dealing with long marks, which are not actually in Classical Latin.

The similarity of certain forms (notably many genetive and dative singular forms or genetive singular and nominative plural) also complicates the parsing. I do have a database for verb practice. It requires a verb that is regular in both languages, but it will determine conjugation and create all Latin forms and their English equivalents (including relevant pronouns). Still, that is a long way from what you are talking about.

p.s. I love that Aristotle1990 is suggesting Latin rather than Koine Greek.

LOL. Yeah; actually, I study both of them (not Koine, though; Attic). Anyway, I checked Altavista's Babelfish, and it does not seem to offer a Latin English translation. There are plenty of dictionaries, though.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grrr. I was sure it was Babelfish I had seen use it. I can't recall the service I used (also free) for Romanian, but that may have been the one.

Where would you store the dictionary? in the widget? online?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
aristotle1990

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 - 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purvisa wrote:
Grrr. I was sure it was Babelfish I had seen use it. I can't recall the service I used (also free) for Romanian, but that may have been the one.

Where would you store the dictionary? in the widget? online?

Couldn't be in the widget. It would have to be online; a dictionary stored in the widget would quite simply be massive.