Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

Building a simple and basic widgets, what's included?

jeremyrdeming

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 - 4:57 am    Post subject: Building a simple and basic widgets, what's included? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am new to making widgets, though I have a high understanding of computers.

I am wanting to learn how to make a simple widget that doesn't do much of anything, I just want to make some extremly simple. I have tried doing the tutorial and including all nessecary files. I am not sure how to create the info.plist and or what to include in it. Can someone help?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks! Add me to your ichat as I am always up to meeting/chatting!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
purvisa

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 - 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest installing your Developer Tools (from your OS X install CDs). They include the Property List Editor, which makes plist creation and editing a breeze.

As far as making a widget goes, start with a default image (something not too large) named Default.png. Use the image as the source as the first line in the BODY of the HTML document. From there, anything you do will be positioned relative to the dimensions of that image, unless you create a different height and/or width in info.plist.

At that point, just create some things to click or watch, add the .wdgt extension to the folder, and double-click the new package.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
Dori

Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 - 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Building a simple and basic widgets, what's included? Reply with quote

jeremyrdeming wrote:
I am wanting to learn how to make a simple widget that doesn't do much of anything, I just want to make some extremly simple.

Take a look at the How To thread under Widget Central. There's been some good recent discussion there about just that, and it would be handy to have it all in one place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
skyhawkrider

Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 - 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you want to do with the plist, as a starting place, is to probably look at another widget's plist and modify the correct lines.

Do this: Open up your Widgets folder (located at youruserfolder/Library/Widgets), right click and click "Open Package Contents". From there, copy the plist of someone else's widget into your own, and then change the values of the properties.

After that (and you have everything ready in a directory), copy it and add ".wdgt" at the end of the name. From there, you can open it up in Dashboard and you'll be ready to go!

If you're confused, looking at examples of widgets is usually the best help; like purvisa said, you should download your developer tools that came from your CD, or go to http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/ instead.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
jeremyrdeming

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 - 9:47 pm    Post subject: Excellent Help Reply with quote

To those of you that responded to my question - thank you very much for your response, it's very helpful!

Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.