Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

I Couldn't Send My Idea To Apple's Widget Feedback site, So

JesseJames

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 1:07 pm    Post subject: I Couldn't Send My Idea To Apple's Widget Feedback site, So Reply with quote

I found this website and registered an account Smile

I am going to copy/paste the letter that I attempted to send to the Apple Widget Feedback site, that wasn't able to recieve my letter because the Apple Widget Feedback site wasn't reading my comment and was continually stating that I needed to add a comment, which I'd already done Get lost

Anyway, the letter has to do with my suggestion/request for the development of a Magnifying Glass Widget. Please read.

The letter

Dear, whoever reads this.

This is probably not the correct place to suggest an idea for a useful widget, but I know of nowhere else online, where I can communicate with people involved with Apple Widget's, who would know of any developers who would possibly be able to create my idea. If this does not fit the category "Download Suggestions" you don't need to read further. But if it qualifies or if you would like to continue reading, I hope that you'll please do so. Also, if you see how useful the idea would be, if it would be possible to actually create a Widget that fits the description I'll include, and if you or someone you're associated with knows of a developer(s) who can bring this to fruition, please pass this message along to the appropriate recipients. Thank you.

A Magnifying Glass Widget:

I am always wanting to be able to enlarge small viewable screen size, online streaming video clips at various websites, amongst other things, to be able to see a larger version of the video clips that are playing through my Internet Browser on my desktop. I use an Apple iMac and as far as I know, there is no Magnifying Glass Application available for Apple that allows you to drag the Magnifying Glass over top of something on your desktop screen, and produce a larger version of whatever you may want to enlarge; video clips, for instance.

I've found a few Magnifying Glass Application's online for Windows PC's. An example of one can be viewed at the following link:

http://magnifier.sourceforge.net/

That Magnifying Glass is apparently of a quite poor quality, judging by the screenshots available at the above link lol. Nevertheless, it is a Magnifying Glass Application that is able to be dragged over top of anything on the desktop screen, producing a larger version of whatever is beneath it.

My desire is to have someone create a Magnifying Glass Widget, similar to the Magnifying Glass in the above link, albeit, hopefully of a better quality, which is pretty much guaranteed when it comes to Apple versus Windows applications/technology anyway Smile I don't have the technical expertise to create a Magnifying Glass Widget myself, if it is even possible to do so. But a Magnifying Glass Widget which enables the user to enlarge anything on their desktop screen that the Magnifying Glass is dragged over top of, would be very useful and most likely, wildly popular.

A Magnifying Glass that can be:

- Sized incrementally, freely adjustable to the users desired height and width needs in relation to pixel area needed to be covered.
- Or is already a preset size, but preferably preset to a decent pixel height and width, that would automatically allow most users, close to if not completely desired coverage.
- Adjustable magnification, for example: Either zoom in incrementally, such as: 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300% etc. Or a completely free zoom in feature, for example: 119%, 199%, 207%, 215%, 504% etc.
- Or an already preset magnification, but a preset magnification that would preferably at least magnify anything it is dragged over top of, by at least twice the size of the original image beneath the Magnifying Glass.
- And that is able to magnify moving images, videos for example; not only stationery objects, such as a desktop icon.

It is my hope that someone who reads this will be able to help this become a reality. If whoever reads this can't assist in directly bringing this to fruition, but knows of someone who possibly could, would you please! email me the contact information of whoever might be able to develop a Widget like I have just described. Or simply pass this information along to them as soon as possible Very Happy

I personally think that a Magnifying Glass Widget would be the #1 downloaded Widget at Apple's Widget Download page, for a long time. And would also be one of the absolutely most beneficial and useful Widget's created thus far; which a lot of people other than myself, also probably strongly desire.

I appreciate you taking the time to read this. Thank you.

Sincerely, Jesse.

-----

Maybe someone here can help bring this to fruition.

P.s. This forum has nice smooth looking text and a nice layout etc. Cool
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found a Magnifier widget here, but it doesn't magnify anything yet.
novis

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 4:15 pm    Post subject: MAGNIFY Reply with quote

The mac has an app like this, and its made by apple. Go into the developers folder (if installed), then applications, then graphics tools. In that folder is an app called pixie. All it does is magnify stuff, like the win app. If someone can implement this into a widget, it would be perty cool.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
JesseJames

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanTheMacFan wrote:
Well, I found a Magnifier widget here, but it doesn't magnify anything yet.

I looked at what was written about it by other forum members in that threads comments. It doesn't appear to be useful, or like you also pointed out, magnify anything yet lol.

Thanks for replying though Cool

[Edit: Please don't use font styling for entire posts. It's really only meant for emphasis.]
JesseJames

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MAGNIFY Reply with quote

novis wrote:
The mac has an app like this, and its made by apple. Go into the developers folder (if installed), then applications, then graphics tools. In that folder is an app called pixie. All it does is magnify stuff, like the win app. If someone can implement this into a widget, it would be perty cool.

I'm going to look for it. I don't know if I have the developers folder installed. I'll look though.

Is pixie sizable or customizable like any of the specifications I suggested?

JesseJames (suggested specifications) wrote:
A Magnifying Glass that can be:

- Sized incrementally, freely adjustable to the users desired height and width needs in relation to pixel area needed to be covered.
- Or is already a preset size, but preferably preset to a decent pixel height and width, that would automatically allow most users, close to if not completely desired coverage.
- Adjustable magnification, for example: Either zoom in incrementally, such as: 100%, 150%, 200%, 250%, 300% etc. Or a completely free zoom in feature, for example: 119%, 199%, 207%, 215%, 504% etc.
- Or an already preset magnification, but a preset magnification that would preferably at least magnify anything it is dragged over top of, by at least twice the size of the original image beneath the Magnifying Glass.
- And that is able to magnify moving images, videos for example; not only stationery objects, such as a desktop icon.

Would it be possible for you to take a screenshot of pixie for me? or two screenshots. One of the app icon and one of the app opened and in use? (so I can see exactly what it is, whether it is availble on my computer or not)

If you could, you can take complete screenshot images of your desktop by simultaneously pressing:

Command, Shift, 3

Or you can take focused screenshot images of any item on your desktop by simultaneously pressing:

Command, Shift, 4 (then drag the cursor to one side of what you want to take the pic of. then click/hold down the mouse and drag it over the area you want the pic to be, release the mouse and the png or pdf pic will appear on your desktop)

You probably already know how to do that lol

If you can't do that or don't want to do that, ok. But if you could, then quickly upload it to Image Shack for example, and paste a link to the pic in a reply, that would be cool Cool
JesseJames

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the developers folder and/or pixie installed in my computer Sad

Do you know if pixie is only usable when the developers folder is installed? Or would I be able to download pixie from somewhere, install it and run it successfully on its own?
Da_Vinci

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseJames, may I kindly ask you to use the standard text size and color?
Dori

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JesseJames wrote:
I don't have the developers folder and/or pixie installed in my computer

So someone else should do your work for you? Why don't you just install it and see if it scratches your itch?

Based on what you're asking for, though, I don't think that what you want is a widget. I think what you want is Zoom (ref1, ref2). If you've got Tiger, you've already got Zoom -- all you need to do is turn it on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
jtbandes

Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 - 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Vinci wrote:
JesseJames, may I kindly ask you to use the standard text size and color?

I'm not seeing any unusual font style. Has it been changed?
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 - 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtbandes wrote:
I'm not seeing any unusual font style. Has it been changed?

Yes
JesseJames

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 - 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dori wrote:

Based on what you're asking for, though, I don't think that what you want is a widget. I think what you want is Zoom (ref1, ref2). If you've got Tiger, you've already got Zoom -- all you need to do is turn it on.

I just started using Tiger and did not know that.

I tried it and it works great. Exactly what I was looking for Magnifying Glass wise.

Thank you Smile
JesseJames

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 - 1:36 am    Post subject: Text Color & Size Reply with quote

My apologies. But may I ask, why are users refrained from using larger text sizes or alternate text colors on this forum Unsure
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 - 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text styling is meant for emphasis, not whole posts.
JesseJames

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 - 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I use a slightly larger text and a different color to emphasize that I think that that sucks, will that get me in trouble with the Administration?!

It isn't my site so I'm not going to argue lol. I can follow rules Wink But I don't see why there would be any concern over someone using a slightly larger and different colored text, other than, maybe it eats more bandwidth or memory from the DashboardWidgets server Unsure

Not to sound rude because that isn't my intention, but could you please explain to me why it matters? Because I think that that rule is pretty strict for something that seems so trivial, which is commonly done on countless other different forums that use the same text code as DashboardWidgets.

Unless it has to do with bandwidth, memory or something along those lines, I don't see why there is this limitation being imposed, hindering users from styling their posts to their liking Unsure

Could you please explain.

Thanks.
purvisa

Posted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 - 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It matters because the people who visit the site regularly appreciate the effort its developers have put into creating a consistent look and feel. When someone uses different sizes and colors for more than emphasis, the look and feel of the site changes.

Would you turn a paper in for an English class if the paper contained three type faces in four sizes and two colors? I promise you that such a paper would be returned unread by most people in the profession. Special formatting is just that: special.

Remember, too, what Twain is said to have written at the end of a rather long letter: "I would have written less, but I didn't have the time."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next