Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Testing

Help out a first time widget developer

evilandy

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 - 2:57 am    Post subject: Help out a first time widget developer Reply with quote

I wanted to try to make a widget and the first thing that came to mind was a george bushism randomizer, so I made it, and it worked fine when I ran it in safari, so I looked online, made the Info.plist file with all the necessary keys and stuck a .wdgt on the end of the folder. Double clicked, it opened dashboard, nothing happenes. I opened the dashboard dock, and there it is, but when I click the ico, it gives me the error alert sound and doesn't do anything. Please check outt the code and tell me what I'm doing wrong:
http://homepage.mac.com/bassmanandy/FileSharing1.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
purvisa

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 - 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, I get an error, but it is in loading the page you linked to. Can you post the code here?

A few quick things to check first:

In your info.plist, does the Main.HTML point to the proper file (consider case, too)?
Do you have a proper CFBundleIdentifier listed, using reverse URL?
Do you have a Default.png (again with the case)?
Do you have a background image loading (without it, things will just sorta float there)?
Do you have an Icon.png (it should fall back on a generic one, but again, it's best to have something)?
Are you using units for all CSS positioning elements?
Do you have any unclosed tags?
Does any of your code call document.write() or document.writeln()?

I know this is a lot, and many of these problems are too small to create the kind of trouble you have indicated, but perhaps a couple together can bring it down. My biggest problems have come when I have made little errors like closing "{" with ")" in my Javascript file. These are easy enough to spot in the end, but they can wreak havoc in the meantime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
evilandy

Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 - 12:58 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

wow thanks, I didn't know about half of this stuff, I'll fix it and If I still have problems, repost it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.