Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Lounge

Does anyone know the user "wytche" on VersionTrack

islayermarc

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 - 6:53 am    Post subject: Does anyone know the user "wytche" on VersionTrack Reply with quote

He's posted some outright lies and very negative comments about our widgets on VersionTracker.

Out of his only 3 comments on VersionTracker, all have been negative (one was for Degrees Down Under, which is a great little widget).

Anyone know him or know of him?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
MacUser

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting comments that person has made there. What makes you think that person is a "he"? Is there any reason why we should accept his/her statements as untrue and your as true?

Just because a person makes some negative comments doesn't necessarily make them an instant villain.
purvisa

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read wytche's comments in this regard, and islayer's responses. wytche has refused to provide any support for the claims on VersionTracker, and I am in favor of the "innocent until proven guilty" approach in such matters.

wytche has begun to back off earlier claims, stating that islayer may not have used other people's code so much as their ideas. Then again, those ideas were posted here at DBW as widget requests, so I don't see the problem.

VT has its share of trolls, and wytche's behavior reminds me of that fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
islayermarc

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacUser wrote:
Interesting comments that person has made there. What makes you think that person is a "he"?

I have no idea if wytche is male or female. My apologies for the assumption.

I'm also sorry that I started this thread... To be honest, it really struck me as strange that someone would attack a developer who has created quite a lot of product and given it all away for free. I was a bit frustrated and angry at the time. Why would someone do this? We've spent hours trying make our widgets the best we can.

MacUser wrote:
Is there any reason why we should accept his/her statements as untrue and your as true?

Well, I guess you have only my and iSlayer's word (the programmer of the widgets). Take a look at our site though... Take a look at all the widgets. Take a look at our commercial projects (like IceTV). How do you steal that? It's all custom built for its purpose.

So, it's entirely up to you to make up your own mind, but what evidence does wytche have? Wytche hasn't presented any facts to prove his/her point. None.

And... why would we go to the trouble of stealing anything????!?!?! It's not like we're making money from widgets!

MacUser wrote:
Just because a person makes some negative comments doesn't necessarily make them an instant villain.

True. And I'm quite happy to take any criticism for our work on the chin.

Some people can be quite blunt. That's fine and I'm sure most have good intentions.

This strikes me as a bit different though. They're pretty damaging claims, and we've already had emails from users abusing us, simply because this guy/girl made those remarks. I'm sure there are countless other users who haven't emailed us, but now think we're really dodgy and steal code, ideas and graphics.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacUser wrote:

It does when they publically make claims which they have no evidence to back them up with.

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

islayer wrote:
It does when they publically make claims which they have no evidence to back them up with.

Well what ever the story is between you two I say build a bridge and get over it.

I can't imagine why anyone would make public statements about a person without any concrete evidence to back it up Shocked I guess you're right with regards to that person not displaying any real evidence of what he/she claims, but hey that doesn't necessarily mean they are wrong does it? There are many instances in public internet places where certain claims can go on unfounded without any evidence yet may be believed by the masses as I'm sure you're well aware of

But I'd err on the side of caution when it comes to installing things from people I don't know on my Mac, especially in a situation as this. Look at the recent malware disguised in a jpeg file for example.

Don't blow me up on this I'm just expressing my personal point of view as you are yours.
islayermarc

Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 - 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacUser wrote:
I can't imagine why anyone would make public statements about a person without any concrete evidence to back it up

I can.

Some people are just bad like that.

Also, this is defamation, pure and simple. If this guy persists, we have every right to pursue it.

Posted: Mon May 01, 2006 - 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="islayermarc"]
MacUser wrote:

Some people are just bad like that.

Also, this is defamation, pure and simple. If this guy persists, we have every right to pursue it.

Sounds like a case of the pot calling the kettle black don't you think? Did you not participate in a similar attack against some member of another forum based on nothing more than innuendo?

I think you have some honesty issues dude.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.