Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

movie widget!!!

Poll Results: Who wants a movie widget?
me!
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
Nah, I wouldn't use it.
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

alexroet

Posted: Sun May 08, 2005 - 8:58 am    Post subject: movie widget!!! Reply with quote

Frankly I am stunned that I can't find a movie widget anywhere yet... There are about 20 wiki widgets- I've never even HEARD of wiki- yet no movie widget, which is the only reason I ever used sherlock anyway...
Yes, I found dashboard movies, but 1: it doesn't work for me (always says "unable to parse at theater level" or something like that) and 2:sorry guys, but it is UG-LY.

So please, someone with some widget programming knowledge, help us out! I know I'm not the only one who wants this. Is it particularly hard to design? Is that the problem?
ryand

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 - 3:05 am    Post subject: showTime Reply with quote

There is a widget I just submitted (in very early form) that does just that: downloads movie times. Check it out in the showcase once it goes up.

-Ryan
CraigStanton

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 - 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does a 'Movie Widget' do? Are you thinking movie times, movie reviews, watching your local iMovies or downloading movies?
alexroet

Posted: Sun May 15, 2005 - 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigStanton wrote:
What does a 'Movie Widget' do? Are you thinking movie times, movie reviews, watching your local iMovies or downloading movies?

I want movie times/listings. Like from moviefone or fandango. Well what I really want is the movie channel from sherlock to work again...
jspady

Posted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 - 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CraigStanton wrote:

I would like a Movie widget which gives me the same information as the old Sherlock tool... movies, theaters, times, AND trailers.
Avo

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 - 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This old thread is still the #1 hit on google for "movie widget". So I thought folks might like to know that, finally, there IS one: and it's pretty nice, has trailers and everything. Just enter your zipcode on the back.

Download here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?f9jjjcvdlrw
Greenie

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 - 10:23 am    Post subject: I guess it's not so easy Reply with quote

Hi all,

I once thought about (and even took some steps towards) developing something like that but did not finish the project for several reasons. Just to give you an impression of some of the problems that would need to be solved:

- copyright problems (where do you get the data from? You can't just use data from any website. Well you can, but I guess that will most certainly lead to legal problems

- It would most probably be something you can only do country-specific as most websites I know of only have data for a limited number of cinemas. And I don't know any website (at least in Germany where I live) that have data for all cinemas

- extracting the data will be hard work. At least if the site you get the data from doesn't supply it in a standardized form like RSS-Feeds. In this case you'd need to extract the data from the raw html-source, which is a pain. I know because I tried it myself and it was quite frustrating due to some bugs in the automatically created html-code of the websites. Just think about a tablecell you expect to hold a certain part of the data. What if the tablecell isn't closed properly or if there are other random bugs in the source? Some parts didn't even have a proper ID or a name to know where to collect which data from.

What I want to say with all of this: It isn't impossible to do a wiget for showing movie-times. But it would be an awful lot of work to do, at least if it should be done right. Not to mention that you need to handle quite a lot of data that probably should be saved locally and need to be displayed in the widget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ NumberWidgets
Avo

Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 - 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greenie, I don't know how hard it is to do it, but it's been DONE. Works really well, based on www.fandango.com. See my previous post for the download URL.
Spill

Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 - 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came across this thread and wanted to point you guys in the direction of a new movie review widget I found online at Spill.com. Its called the Spill Movie Review widget http://www.spill.com/docs/movie-widget/ and it shows the latest hilarious animated movie reviews. Check it out and let me know what you think.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.