Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

Newbie Question: Using a table

ajcassidy

Posted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 - 7:56 am    Post subject: Newbie Question: Using a table Reply with quote

I would like to use a table to display data in a widget, can I import a table from excel? I can make a table in dreamweaver, can I import this?

I would also like to have the data in the table as links to other websites, is this do-able?

Thanks to all for making this site so interesting
Greenie

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 - 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Excel: Not sure, as I do not use that. I guess Excel has some kind of export-function, maybe it also can export to html. If not you could still use a quick-and-dirt solution by writing some lines of javascript that could convert from comma-delimited file (which I am quite sure Excel does) to a usual html-table.

2. Dreamweaver: As long as it is valid html (which it should be in Dreamweaver) you can certainly use that thable. Just mark the html-element and copy/paste it into your code. Maybe some css-tags are need to get copied too.

3. Links to other websites: Sure, can be done. Only that these sholdn't be usual link-tags like in usual websites. To make a browser open the link you have to use "widget.openURL". One of the ways to use it like Apple recommends is like that:

Code:
<span onclick="widget.openURL('http://www.whatever.com/');">
   Whatever
</span>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ NumberWidgets
ajcassidy

Posted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 - 6:36 am    Post subject: Widget help Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Just one more, I am using Dashcode to build the widget. Where do I insert the code in the html section. When I place my code in the html section it always appears behind the front image and cannot be brought to the front???
thewilson

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 - 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are looking to learn to build widgets a good understanding of html and javascript will be very beneficial. You can save as html from excel or copy the table from dreamweaver. You want to get everything between the <table> and </table> tags including the tags. You will need to post the main html file if you want help figuring out why your image is in front of your table . At least i think you will

Thanks for posting and good luck. I found
http://www.w3schools.com
to be an invaluable resource when learning html css javascript vbscript etc
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.