Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

two copies of many widgets

benignreal

Posted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 - 5:59 am    Post subject: two copies of many widgets Reply with quote

can anyone tell me why there are two copies of many widgets on my MBP.
~\Library\Widgets
~\user\Library\Widgets

Which copy do I need to keep and which can be deleted?

If the widget is in a user folder, does that mean that other users logged in can't use that widget?
thewilson

Posted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 - 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are unsure you should refrain from deleting any file. The widgets you have should not be taking up a significant amount of space and if they are you can use the widgets manager in dashboard to clean them up. ~/ is the shortcut for the currently logged in user's home directory so
~/Library/Widgets
are your own widgets that are in your own personal directory. If you use the dashboard's built in tool to manage widgets and delete the .dmg file after you download them you should be fine.

MW
marcintosh

Posted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 - 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicates sounds unusual to me. ~\Library\Widgets should contain all the Apple widgets that came with your MBP. They are common to all users, but you can't modify the contents of that folder. ~\user\Library\Widgets should contain any widgets you've installed yourself. They would only work in that specific user account so you'd have to install them under each user. But that wouldn't account for the types of duplicates you describe.

Copying the Apple widgets to the user folder would give the user permission to modify them. Perhaps someone did that.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.