Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

OpenUrl

getbacker

Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 - 2:11 am    Post subject: OpenUrl Reply with quote

Hi i am new to programming of dashboard widgets..I know that OpenUrl would open a URL .. but is there any way to retrieve only the contents of the file but not the actually page ?
Like if i am trying to access a RSS page..so instead of opening the page could i get the text content of the feed ??? Angel anyhelp would be appreciatd Smile
Greenie

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 - 7:43 pm    Post subject: XmlHttpRequest is your friend :) Reply with quote

Hi there,

to do what you want, you will have to use XmlHttpRequest. With this you can get any kind of data into your widget. Depending on the source you can either receive the data as xml (like an rss-feed for example) or as pure text. I would say that most of the widgets which display portions of websites are using XmlHttpRequest. And DashCode itself provides the rss-feed-example in which you can see how it is used. You should also be able to find more than enough tutorials on XmlHttpRequest on the net.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address ICQ NumberWidgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.