Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Gadget idea - who could do this?

slartibartfas

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 - 3:16 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Hi,

I would really like to have two gadgets for my personal workflow.
First one: a gadget, showing me the latest line of the console.log
Second one: a gadget, that offers me a terminal, where bash is running. The connection should remain open, even when dashboard disappears.

I would work on it on my own, but my private G4 is not able to run Tiger, due to kernel panics while booting.
slartibartfas

Posted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 - 3:16 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

dev_nut: The problems I had with installing Tiger on my G4 is caused by the Firmtek Seritek S-ATA Controller Card. With this card built-in I get kernel panics while booting. I will post this to Firmtek and to Apples RadarWeb.
slartibartfas

--> Anonymous: I am already using GeekTool for that purpose, but a gadget would be preferable for me.
wrx_13

It's possible.

Cool
Chris

It's possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
wrx_13

Sorry, I got lost a bit in here, but is the console log gadget possible or not?
dev_nut

Re Kernal panics..
Install tiger from the OS?>????.pkg in the system/installs folder,

Run the install from Jag/Panth rather than booting from the Tiger disk

RAL

Re Kernal panics..
Install tiger from the OS?>????.pkg in the system/installs folder,

Run the install from Jag/Panth rather than booting from the Tiger disk
Widgets
slartibartfas

This one seems to be confusing: The connection should remain open, even when dashboard disappears.

The terminal window should disappear, when Dashboard disappears. But the connection to the terminal (pipe to bash) should remain open to keep up the environment I set up in that shell.
Chris

Well, I imagine you could via a cocoa plug-in, but I was being a bit facetious. The point of the dashboard is that gadgets fly in when you need them and disappear when you dont. Having something staying there does not fit in with what gadgets are, and would be like just any other application - hence, probably not fitting for a gadget.
Of course, you could still write what you want as a gadget (web page) and make a cocoa program have a webview to display it and behave like a normal app (you can do the cocoa side of things in only a couple of lines of code - which is nice).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
mugget

wow, so you can have Dashboard bring up an app? i'm just trying to figure out the limitations of this whole thing...
Widgets
Chris

is it even possible to make a gadget that will stay on the desktop after everything else has gone away?
They're called applications Smile
mugget

is it even possible to make a gadget that will stay on the desktop after everything else has gone away?
Widgets
Solsonic

I believe you have to make plugins to allow these gadgets to be feasible. I'm not sure how to make a plugin yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Jeremy
Administrator

Quoting: Anonymous

I meant to say 'Windows users beg for Tiger'

Indeed they do
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.