Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

Can someone please make a MultiDash Widget?

msyeed

Posted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 - 9:24 pm    Post subject: Can someone please make a MultiDash Widget? Reply with quote

Okay, total newbie post and I may be talking out of the wrong hole, but seeing as how there are management widgets and launcher widgets, couldn't someone make a MultiDash Widget?

A sort of enhanced launcher, what I'm picturing is a widget that would look like a tab -- you'd customize which side of the screen it protrudes from -- that you could name. Whenever a given instance of the widget was active, any widgets you create would "belong" to it and toggle on and off with the tab itself.

Let's say you name a MultiDash tab, "Games." You'd activate the tab, then open a set of game widgets and position them as you like. Next, you'd click the tab for "Games" again and all the game widgets would hide. Clicking it a third time would make all these widgets re-appear, ideally complete with position and last known state, as if they'd never disappeared.

And you could repeat the process with other subcategories, like "Search," "Info," "Work," "Fun," "Controls," "System," whatever. This way, you could quickly and easily toggle between different sets of like-themed widgets.

If maintaining widget status is a problem (I've never programmed one of these things) you could just re-position them completely outside the window to "hide" them. It may not save you any processor overhead to turn off a set, but for us small-screened laptop users, this would still be a blessing.

And even if you can't keep the status, being able to launch and kill widgets in groups would be fantastic.

Does something like this exist already? Any thoughts? Someone? Anyone? Bueller?
Liquidrums

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 - 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a fantastic idea, but i don't think one widget can control if another widget is enabled or not. Well, we can delete 'em & all, but the widget would require "hiding" certain widgets while keeping others active.

I think your best alternative is to go grab "amnesty" which lets you put widgets on your desktop (and elseware) and simply create your "games" widget layout and you can bind that to a key (command-F12, for example) to hide & show your game widgets on demand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
msyeed

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 - 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Wasn't aware of Amnesty -- I wish it had some options to run without the menubar icon, or to dim the screen like dashboard, but I'll take what I can get. Who knows...maybe in the final...

Though I must say, the widget "DashOpener" seems to open widgets loaded on the system just fine -- I guess closing them is a different deal...
Liquidrums

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 - 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me checkout dashopener. if i can piece something together to do this, i'll let you know.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
andrethegiant

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 - 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a widget for this! I hope it's what you were expecting.

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=947
msyeed

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 - 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! I just wish it didn't have to complete quit and relaunch the dash. Do you have any control over placement, or are you just swapping out dashboard prefs somewhere? Cause if you can control placement, what about just moving widgets to a fixed position waaaaayyyyy offscreen instead of killing them? Sorry for the long delay before the review -- I've been going nuts on my end.
andrethegiant

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 - 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a really good idea.... it would be much harder to do, but definitely worth it....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.