Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Customizable RSS Widgets

EricNau

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 - 3:13 am    Post subject: Customizable RSS Widgets Reply with quote

Does anyone out there know of a customizable RSS widget that lets you insert the URL of the site in which you want the feed from?

I want a widget to monitor the RSS from one of the feeds from
"TheKCRAchannel.com" (NBC Affiliate) and since it is only a Sacramento Channel no one has made one, and I don't think anyone will.

OR...

If anyone could tell me how to make a widget for The KCRA Channel feeds that would be great. The web site has several different feeds (9 to be exact) and in this widget it would be nice if the user had the ability to select which one of those feeds they want, along with how often they wanted it updated, and maybe even different backgrounds (and other prefs. like that)

I consider myself pretty good with computers, but haven't made a widget before. (However I mantain web sites, I don't know if it's similar or not)

The WebSite is ... http://www.thekcrachannel.com/index.html
For the list of RSS feeds go to http://www.thekcrachannel.com/rss/index.html

Thanks! -Eric
EricNau

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 - 3:25 am    Post subject: Second Thoughts Reply with quote

OK...
I just looked at the code from a widget using an RSS feed (Recent Widgets) and it became very clear to me that this was beyond what I could do. But if someone you just like to make it for me that would be great! (I would help all I could)
CraigStanton

Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 - 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Eric, I made RecentWidgets, and it really isn't all that hard to modify to your purposes. If you'd like to provide the graphics for the front it'll only take me a moment to add the listed RSS feeds my code.

On a related note, since the code I helped put together for the NZMac.com widget has become a reasonably popular base for other RSS widgets (it was originally from a tutorial site) I've been thinking of creating and maintaining a sort of RSS library that others can build from. It'd contain all the stuff for fetching and parsing RSS feeds and then other developers could just tweak a few variables to choose the frequency of the refresh and whether images/ story excerpts are to be shown.

What do you think?
EricNau

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 - 1:56 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I'm not sure if you got the e-mail I sent you, if not here's kinda what it said...
I am not that good with graphics and therefore probably couldn't even do that, sorry. I was just thinking that it might be easy maybe for someone to make a customizable rss feed widget, but I guess not because no one has done it and it seems like a good idea to me.
Thanks anyways
-Eric
CraigStanton

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 - 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSSBean features a user-definable RSS feed, but you can only choose one, you don't get to define a list.
EricNau

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 - 7:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for finding one! Now I feel stupid that I didn't see it.
Thanks again
-Eric
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.