Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Konfab widgets I'd like made into gadgets

wrx_13

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 - 11:57 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

resurrecting an old threead because it ha slots of good ideas in it! hopefully someone will see it and make some of these
The Inn Keeper

Posted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 - 11:57 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

A Flight Tracker Gadget. Specify a flight on the back, and then keep an eye on its arrival time on the front. Good for when you are picking someone up from the airport, and you want to keep an eye on their flight.
Jeremy
Administrator

i'd get into contact with the original authors of your favorite widgets and ask for approval before you go and port those widgets with the intension of release. i didn't get approval for mine because i had no intention to release my port, i just did it as an exorcize and a test.

Certainly, unless I have misunderstood, I think the original aim of this thread was to identify Konfab widgets people enjoy, and then have people make gadgets that do the same or similar thing. Not using the same code or artwork, simply requests for gadgets based upon similar ideas.

Actual ports of the widgets should certainly be done with permission, especially since in the future many Konfab widget creators will most likely port some of their own creations.

A good example of the aim of this thread was the Dropper gadget. A Konfab Tetris game was found, and then a new gadget was created with nothing in common with the exception of the initial idea.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Hes Nikke

i was able to port the default digital clock widget (the second hand of the default clock was just insane, and it sucked down CPU time) and it was too difficult.

i'd release it but i'm using the original artwork, and most of the code is the original code. i had to do a few changes, such as temporarily drop preferences, and getting the update system to work was a little different - particularly with the show/hide behavior.

i'd get into contact with the original authors of your favorite widgets and ask for approval before you go and port those widgets with the intension of release. i didn't get approval for mine because i had no intention to release my port, i just did it as an exorcize and a test.
dev_nut

Not essential, but on a boiling hot day I like to know if and when my PowerBook is going to blow up from the heat.

EDIT: Forgot to include name of widget, ThermoMeter
wrx_13

This one is called Stuffit Widget, don't know what it does, don't really care though, check out its icon:

I'd like to stuff my... <oops should stop here>
cripen

Any chance of allowing any gadget developer to host their high scores on The Dashboarder Jer? That would be cool having a central repository for them.
dev_nut

This seems to have turned into the 'Tetris Game Thread' instead of a Konfab widgets thread. Are you able to split topics Jer? (allowing discussion of Konfab widgets in one thread, and the details of Dropper in another thread...both seem worthy of a thread of their own)

or ?
Jeremy
Administrator

Oh, and it needs to have buttons for 'resume', 'preferences' etc, but that's easy to add once Jer makes them

They're in the mail
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Chris

Yeah - I've done loads with XMLHttpRequest over the years
Thing is - I'd need Jeremy to host it for me until I can get my own place to host it...
I've done local high scores - I guess it could fall back on that if you're not connected to the internet, and possibly compare them to the current high scores when you do and match them up.

Hmm....

If I was using php n the server I wouldn't need XMLHttpRequest, I could just post the data from a form (although, it makes no odds which method, really...), but I think I'm right in saying that safari 2 will support the save() method with XMLHttpRequest, so I won't need PHP in that case. It's worth looking at for a future version I suppose.

Edit: I've hit a bit of a stumbling block. When adding the event listener to handle the moving around etc, it does everything twice. I would presume from that that it means the listener is getting added twice, but the function which adds it is only called one. 'Tis weird. Works fine in Moz...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
wintershox

Chris - you could use a central server (via PHP) to store permanent high scores, a la networked tetris using XMLHttpRequest() - check it out.

Weekend time, whee!
Chris

OK - I've finished the game with all of the suggestions implemented apart from high scores.
Would anyone like to preview it to tell me how well it works? It seems to be OK, but I'm shockingly bad at tetris, so I can't really test it properly.

Oh, and it needs to have buttons for 'resume', 'preferences' etc, but that's easy to add once Jer makes them
Oh - it needs to be gadgemified once I get home and get access to Tiger.

Any takers? Preferably someone with Tiger of course. It won't be fully ready for another few hours (which will make it a total of 8 hours I've spent on this - so expect problems!).

Cheers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Chris

Good suggestions - I think I'll release a version quite soon, so it might not have everything in it, but at least it could then be beta tested
Chris

I was wondering. How do you think it should get to the preferences? Does it start off that way and then you click done to play the game? But, how do you get back to the preferences?
Plus, what should the 'game over' screen look like?
(too busy and not creative enough to come up with my own ideas )
Chris

Ooh, it may a take a bit longer to put all this stuff in - but it's the weekend soon, so I'll be able to do it all. Thanks guys!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next