Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Widget Types

macintoshtech

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 1:04 pm    Post subject: Widget Types Reply with quote

What are the "boundries" of widgets, I should say what is not recommended in terms of design.
Elvis

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably no real boundaries to what a developer could do, but it seems like Dashboard widgets (in Apple's mind) would have a few common threads.

1) Display useful information quickly with little need for user input (stock quotes, weather, etc...)

2) Perform small, simple tasks quickly (calculator, note-taker, switch song in iTunes) without need to open separate application on Desktop

The bottom line is that the Dashboard is a "now you see it, now you don't" platform, so a widget that would require a a complicated user interaction or prolonged interaction to be useful -such as content creation (word processors, movie editors)- would probably be a bad idea as such a task would be better on the main desktop.

Similarly, there should be a certain "speediness" to Dashboard widgets in my mind. A widget that takes more than a minute to acheive its usefulness again might be too complicated or far-reaching.

What else am I missing here for common widget properties?

Elvis
schwatoo

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 - 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One big limitation to what you can do with Widgets/Gadgets (whatever they're being called this week) is that apple has made it quite tough to program a widget without using HTML/CSS and JS. Why would you want to? Well let's say you already have a Cocoa or Carbon 'widget' and you just need to embed it into a dashboard widget to enable it for dashboard. It's not so easy.

I've done some experimenting with embedding Cocoa views directly into a dashboard widget and I have got it working. But i still need that little html file and image file to bootstrap the darn thing.
schwatoo

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a screenshot of my Cocoa controls running inside a Widget. If only I could upload it here. Ugh.
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 - 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be patient, we'll have an attachment feature soon hopefully.
Lynn

Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 - 3:19 am    Post subject: Plugin does all the work? Reply with quote

Ok, folks, don't flame me, but do you think it would be possible to build an entire widget with only a few lines of HTML and Javascript? ie.. letting the plug-in do all of the event handling, re-drawing, etc.

Reason I ask this is, Apple is not providing any kind of a encryption mechanism to protect the work of the programmer.... btw I noticed that this will be a new feature in the next rev of konfabulator.[/code]
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.