Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Snake Gadget Design

Jeremy
Administrator

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 - 12:26 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

I've had a bit of spare time today, so did a quick mockup of a re-design of Chris O'Brien's Snake gadget. I've emailed him earlier with an early-design, but thought I would share the updated pics with you guys for any feedback:

This is what you would see when first viewing the gadget:

This is the game in action:

And these are the settings on the back:

At the moment the settings are displayed on the front before a game starts. However most of the time you would be playing on the 'normal' difficulty setting anyway I would imagine, so it might be worth throwing the settings on the back like most other gadgets.

Thoughts and suggestions guys?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Chris

Posted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 - 12:26 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Funny you should ask that - as far as I know, Rick's been working on some stunning graphics for snake last night. I'm (as we speak) re-writing the core code of it - I was looking through it last night and it's but fugly/slow in a few places.

Should be coming soon - although, it might be renamed to 'miniSnake' given the current trend... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
The Inn Keeper

Niiiice. Snake rocks.

Now, will the new version have levels, or 'plums' bouncing around? Or will it be more like a cell phone snake?
Chris

This is another case of 'funny you should say that'.

Basically, the way I'm writing it now (much smaller, much faster) is in such a way that adding levels etc should not be too difficult. However, it is designed to be like the snake that used to be on my Nokia 3210 - but I'm open to suggestions. I fyou want to knock up a few level designs (however crude) then they could make it into snake...

What do you mean by "'plums' bouncing around"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
The Inn Keeper

Now I'm almost thinking its funny when I say things!

By plums I mean like a 'ball' that bounces around, that the snake has to avoid hitting head-on. In snake on the Apple 2e, you had the choice of no plums, one plum, or two plums. They would bounce around the screen, and off the snake. If you hit a plum with the head of your snake, you lost a life. Just an extra thing to do I guess.

As for the mazes, I think there are 'official' snake levels - whereby level one has nothing in it, but you have to 'escape' up the top to finish the level. Level two has a line through the middle. Level three has a + in the middle...like that.

Have you played much snake before? (I think everyone can tell I have...too much)
Ben

I second the idea of replicating the original snake - whereby you must collect a certain number of dots per level, and then escape out a small opening in the top.

If I remember right, on the original, a dot was only displayed for a certain amount of time. So if you didn't get it within, say, 30 seconds, a different one would appear. This would also reduce your tally for the level by one (or something).
Widgets
Chris

OK. That can be added in quite simply. I'm glad I've re-written it like this, it's making my life much easier now

Any other feature requests? Bouncing balls, mazes, holes to escape through, levels etc can all be 'plugged in' to the game relatively easy. So let's hear suggestions!
esXXI

I'd love to see;
ï A score-to-continue system, instead of having to eat so many "plums" per level, you would have to collect "points"

Gathering points;
ï Eating a plum gives the time-remaining in seconds*10 in points.

ï Eating a moving plum gives the time-remaining in seconds*25 in points.

ï "Rubbing" walls (being one square away from a wall) gives points by increment (ie; rubbing 1 square gives 10 points, but rubbing 5 squares gives 150 (10+20+30+40+50)) - more points since walls will be less-regular in mazes..

ï "Rubbing" against own parts (being one square away from own body) gives points by time-spent (ie; rubbing 1 square gives 5 points, rubbing 5 squares gives 25 points)

ï Escaping through hole gives 1,000 points

Err- or something like that

*Can't wait to get mock up done*
Chris

Inn Keeper:
No, I haven't played much snake before (well, not since I got rid of my 3210 in early 2001). I've got a mock up done to show how it should work (without scores and level progression at the moment), if you'd like me to e-mail it to you. I figure that since you play it a lot, your feedback will be pretty constructive Wink
The Inn Keeper

...did this one get forgotten amongst all these new gadgets? (fantastic job on them by the way)

This seems to be the last of the 80's looking gadgets
Chris

Yeah, it's pretty much done. I've been a bit busy recently, but I'll roll it out soon.
The Inn Keeper

Any update on how the snake makeup over is going?
wrx_13

No way man the original graphics are way kewler!!!

Chris

OI! It looks like that on my old phone so that's how I did it! I can't believe you're dissing my 1337 photoshop skillz!

Jeremy, I'll add those graphics tonight when I get home.
cripen

Cool pics Jer, hope to see more mockups from you in the future! Looks like you and Chris could be working together on his future gadgets!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next