Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

An idea for a widget inspired by "Sentencer" by za

BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 3:34 am    Post subject: An idea for a widget inspired by "Sentencer" by za Reply with quote

Hi folks.

Zargap's random sentence generator got me thinking back to that silly game called mad lib or something like that, a play on the phrase ad lib, which worked something like this, for those of you that don't know it:

***DESCRIPTION***

1) one player (player A) holds a passage with a number of blanks in the sentences. That player can see the passage, but not the other player (player B).

2) The player A calls out parts of speech in the order that they appear in the passage as blanks (although perhaps order doesn't matter).

3) Player B supplies specific words to fill the blanks, obviously, fitting the parts of speech that player A called out.

4) When all words are filled, the passage is read aloud.

Now, obviously, that is a pretty corny game. Not that much fun if you don't have a colorful vocabulary, and even then, a lot of it depends on the nature of the passage you are filling. In the past, spending a long time filling in the blanks and then finding it to be not that funny felt like a total dud! But not with WIDGET TECHNOLOGY!!! It would be much faster!!!! (Ok, ok, getting needlessly hyper here...)

So why not make a widget of this? It has the potential of being slightly more than mildly entertaining!

For the fundamental text part, either Google "adlib game" or go to http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Chamber/5269/ for electronic examples.

But, why stop there? With WIDGET TECHNOLOGY, you could have one of the voices read the passage aloud when it's done. Like Zarvox or Trinoids or even be able to choose. It's an added kick, and would make the widget complete.

What I see as fundamental content:

1) Many passages to fill - no good if you do 2 and that's the end of it... for this I suggest copying from newspaper and magazine articles, rhymes, anthems, stories, and such, video game ads, whatever. All you have to do is copy some text, often better if it is well-known and widely recognized, and delete a few words throughout. There should be 100+ such passages.

2) Passages should be short. The number of word's replaced should be limited too, and, it helps if the blanks are put in varied spots, not just all verbs or nouns.

3) Passages, obviously, should be invisible to the user until they are filled and it is time for the chosen voice to read it aloud. Then it should become visible.

4) During the actual fill in the blank, the user should see a list of input boxes beside the parts of speech that the input text must be, like is shown at http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Chamber/5269/. Probably works best if the input boxes come in order, so that user input can be directly substituted into the blanks, without any de-jumbling.

5) There could be a match syllable option for passages that are songs or are otherwise rhythmically significant. For example, national anthems or the Pledge of Allegiance, nursery rhymes, or popular songs. I.e., there should be an option somewhere like "Enable syllable display for songs, etc." with a checkbox by it. Then, if the randomly pulled up passage is a song, the column of input boxes should not only display the necessary part of speech but also the number of syllables, as in "Syllables: 2" or whatever. Of course, the user could always decide to put in a longer/shorter word anyway, so it would only be there to help.

6) Titles for passages, also to be read by the chosen voice.

7) "New Passage" or "New xxxxx" button (whatever you will call the passages...passages sounds kind of stupid. New mad lib might be too much of a copy of the original, taking event its name. I recommend steering clear of "mad libs" to be safe. New passage button necessary to move on to the next passage, which would be selected randomly but exclude the previous passage.

8 ) Simple and quick-to-use GUI

And, of course, any additional features you can think of (like having it read aloud by the computer, or ...).

It should make a decent time-waster, possibly even funny widget. Updates could even include new passages and what not.

This transmission will explode 2 minutes after you finish reading!

Thanks
galendw

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once made something like that for my site.

I'll dig that out and play around with it.

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I don't think word games will ever be as popular as some more action-oriented games, but I count it as humor, and there needs to be more humor widgets...

Thank you for looking into it!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.