Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

"Widgets Launcher" Widget

Da_Vinci

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 10:22 am    Post subject: "Widgets Launcher" Widget Reply with quote

If you have many widgets installed but can't/don't want to have them all displayed it is very bothering to have to browse through 5 or more pages in Dashboards Bottom-Bar with the installed Widgets.

So why not have a small widget that lets you type a phrase and displays all widgets whichs names start with your phrase?
Double-clicking the desired Widget in the list of found Widgets would then launch the Widget.

Wouldn't that be a great help?

As I can't write Javascript I can only help with the Design and maybe some Applescript - if needed.

Vince

It could look like this for example:
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Widget Manager will do that to an extent.
Da_Vinci

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - but its layout is so large!

You can contract the layout - I know!

I'm looking for a small and fast widget that just can launch widgets.
No (superfluous -> for me) advanced features like disabling/revealing/trashing!

What I want is:
• Have light-weight widget
• type my phrase
• Boom! -> Desired Widget launches

If I had to expand/contract its layout every time I want to use it and wait until all extended features are loaded…
…my time effort would be similar to browsing for the widget

Get my point?
Thanx for the info anyway!

Ps: My layout would fit 7x into Widget Manager's layout
cerberus

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, Spotlight is -the- tool for this job.

A widget to add file types to Spotlight would be slammin' !!

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
gandreas

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a hint of how this might be accomplished using Spotlight, consider the following shell command:

mdfind -onlyin ~/Library/Widgets/ -onlyin /Library/Widgets/ "kMDItemDisplayName == 'Cal*'"

This will search (in only those two directories where your widgets live) for something whose file name starts with "Cal"

If you wanted to find widgets anywhere with that prefix:

mdfind "kMDItemKind == 'Widget' && kMDItemDisplayName == 'Cal*'"
Da_Vinci

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 - 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@gandreas:
The commands lines work very well (although a bit slow) as long as you don't type something like "wd" instead of "Cal".
If you type "wd" it will list all files - all of them have the extension ".wdgt" which contains "wd"

@cerberus:
Spotlight is very slow (unless you have a G5).
BTW: I typed "Cal" into Spotlight and got a list of 7107 files after a couple of seconds!

It shouldn't be so difficult/extensive to build the engine for a Widget with a design as shown below…?!

I have a fast Applescript that finds every Widget installed whichs name contains the phrase (which you would get from the search field).

The Script returnes the found widgets with their names and file paths.
They are split into two lists:
• System Widgets
• User Widgets

Example:
I typed "Cal"
AppleScript Returns:
{{{"MacintoshHD:Library:Widgets:Calculator.wdgt:", "Calculator"}, {"MacintoshHD:Library:Widgets:Calendar.wdgt:", "Calendar"}}, {{"MacintoshHD:Users:DaVinci:Library:Widgets:iCal Events.wdgt:", "iCal Events"}}}

I would just need someone who can connect my script with the GUI

cerberus

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 - 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da_Vinci wrote:
@cerberus:
Spotlight is very slow (unless you have a G5).
BTW: I typed "Cal" into Spotlight and got a list of 7107 files after a couple of seconds!

If "Widgets" were a Spotlight category, then the file you are looking for would be very easy to identify in the Spotlight results column.. So again, I propose a widget to help sort the 7107 results you are getting a little better and then the other 7106 results Spotlight would return in your search would not get in the way of presenting the information you are looking for.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 - 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 unrelated topics:

Spotlight hacking is wrong in a widget. Put it in an app instead.

I like the original idea of the thread, especially because i hate the built in widget dock. But it can be done with pure Javascript which will give you a nice speed boost.

Quicksilver works behind the Dashboard layer and is faster than Spotlight for launching.
cerberus

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 - 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome wrote:
I like the original idea of the thread,

To go halfway on the idea.. the widget managers that exist provide a list.. So one should be able to click in there and type the first letters and the selections should jump to the appropriate item just like in a finder window.

Quote:
......especially because i hate the built in widget dock.

Agreed, Apple has over 700 widgets on their site..

Quote:
But it can be done with pure Javascript which will give you a nice speed boost.

Would a common bubble sort be fast enough ?

Quote:
Quicksilver works behind the Dashboard layer and is faster than Spotlight for launching.

Yes, it is cool. What would fill the need we are discussing here for Quicksilver users.... is a plug-in for QS that when you type a special character, limits the search to .wdgts or just the Widgets folder.. Or can QS do that already ?

cerberus
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 - 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerberus wrote:

So do we Wink
cerberus

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 - 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
cerberus wrote:

So do we Wink

OK here is an idea.. let's have a widget that searches this site and others for all widgets (not just recent ones). Then whenever you want to use a widget... just download it, Delete it when you are done with it...Download it again the next time...

Or just a widget manager that shows the icons.. would be much nicer and IMO would be a step towards improving on the cool, but slow Widget Dock.

cerberus
Da_Vinci

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 - 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnome wrote:
I like the original idea of the thread, especially because i hate the built in widget dock. But it can be done with pure Javascript which will give you a nice speed boost.

So who could do that?

Quote:
To go halfway on the idea.. the widget managers that exist provide a list.. So one should be able to click in there and type the first letters and the selections should jump to the appropriate item just like in a finder window.

That would be nice.
But all additional features (I mean apart from listing all widgets) slow down the managers.

So why not extract the listing code from one of these managers (of course in cooperation with the author - not stealing!) and put it in a SMALL and FAST widget launcher with a clean interface that only represents the launching features?

And finally to comment the Spotlight & Quicksilver thing:
Why not stay in Dashboard to launch a Widget in Dashboard?
I just don't get the reason for why to leave Dashboard for working in Dashboard?
cerberus

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 - 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Da_Vinci"]
gnome wrote:
I just don't get the reason for why to leave Dashboard for working in Dashboard?

Doesn't everyone know about "dev mode" ? I find some of the more useful widgets fit better in the workflow once they dragged onto the desktop.

cerberus
Da_Vinci

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 - 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="cerberus"]
Da_Vinci wrote:
gnome wrote:

Doesn't everyone know about "dev mode" ? I find some of the more useful widgets fit better in the workflow once they dragged onto the desktop.
cerberus

Of course! I only work in DevMode!
But I mean why to use a 3rd party (Spotlight/Quicksilver in this case) to do something in Dashboard if it could be done in Dashboard itself?

I mean - do you write a 3rd party stand-alone app to close a specific Widget? - No?
So why do you want to have a 3rd party stand-alone app to open one?
I'm a bit confused about that Shocked What?
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 - 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was working on a replacement widget dock with categories and resortability before PM99 gave me all this work to do on DBW. I might continue the project when I'm done if someone else doesn't do it first.

Quicksilver and Spotlight can be used in the Dashboard layer (try it!), and Spotlight isn't third party...

Oh, but for the record, I didn't write
Quote:

but someone's quoting tags got screwed up.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next