Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Ideas for counter widgets

BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 - 3:57 am    Post subject: Ideas for counter widgets Reply with quote

Counters that:

-Take the number of registered users of dashboardwidgets.com: the number is approaching 10,000.

-Takes the number of widgets on dashboardwidgets.com (718) at the time of the post)

-Takes the number of widget downloads from dashboardwidgets.com (approaching 1,000,000).

-Takes similar info from the Apple site

-Stopwatch widget (not exactly a counter I suppose)

-Custom counter that will display any combination of days, hours, minutes until a user-specified date and time, which could be handy for people looking forward to anything. Only has to count to one event because user could always pull up another one for a different event.

I don't even know if someone's already done any of these. But that shouldn't be a discouragement - just make a better one!
Ludge

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 - 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for counter widgets Reply with quote

BagOfHammers wrote:
Counters that:

-Take the number of registered users of dashboardwidgets.com: the number is approaching 10,000.

-Takes the number of widgets on dashboardwidgets.com (718) at the time of the post)

-Takes the number of widget downloads from dashboardwidgets.com (approaching 1,000,000).

-Takes similar info from the Apple site

This seems a little unnecessary, why do you want this info on the dashboard?

BagOfHammers wrote:

-Custom counter that will display any combination of days, hours, minutes until a user-specified date and time, which could be handy for people looking forward to anything. Only has to count to one event because user could always pull up another one for a different event.

I don't even know if someone's already done any of these. But that shouldn't be a discouragement - just make a better one! <("<)

They have already been made. It might have been a good idea to search the showcase first. Wink
pm
Administrator

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 - 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for counter widgets Reply with quote

Ludge wrote:
This seems a little unnecessary, why do you want this info on the dashboard?

I would Razz

BagOfHammers wrote:
Counters that:

Stopwatch: chronoTrack

Countdown: FlipCount
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 - 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say!

"This seems a little unnecessary, why do you want this info on the dashboard?"

??? Who cares if it SEEMS unnecessary to one person? It SEEMED helpful to me. For one thing, I wouldn't have to go to the site to check for new ones. For another, it gives me an update on the site growth (or, in hard times, degeneration). So really, I'm not just guessing around here on "seem". I'm all about "think". If there's only a handful of new widgets and a counter could tell me that, I would know to look at the site some other time. Plus I'd like to see this site gain popularity so that it starts catching up to Apple's. There are a whole lot of counters that don't amount to a hill of beans, ya know. Some that are just plain silly. But this sort would help me, anyways.

Thanks for the heads up on those two widgets, the custom counter and the stopwatch, (although the stopwatch could use a timer). But if you care to read to the end, I DID say I didn't bother to go searching for it, and that if they did exist, there are ways of making improvements (e.g., timer). That's my way of saying I'm tired and lazy and I don't really care, so I appreciate the scolding. But I admit those particular ones are pretty darn good.

(There actually are a couple timers here, but they have rather in-your-face designs and funky color that make them kind of annoying.)

I'll search next time! Keep griping if I'm lazy!
Ludge

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 - 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BagOfHammers wrote:
If there's only a handful of new widgets and a counter could tell me that, I would know to look at the site some other time.

That's what the RSS feed is for.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 - 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludge wrote:
BagOfHammers wrote:
If there's only a handful of new widgets and a counter could tell me that, I would know to look at the site some other time.

That's what the RSS feed is for.

??? Now, I'm a bit confused. Is there a way to get what you are talking about accessible without opening Safari? Because the whole point is that it won't require user input, of any kind. If you have to have any user input (the F12 button is technically user input, but it accesses all of Dashboard, after all), you're just giving me another, less convenient option.... And then, I want to see numbers, not a bunch of text.

I don't know exactly what you mean by RSS unless it's clicking on the little button in the address bar or seeing it through an aggregator or aggregator-featured app. Both of those require far more input, and with dashboard you can see in bulk. I never said my way was the only way, but aren't we talking about two rather different things? How does the RSS feed entirely nullify my idea?
Ludge

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 - 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put this sites RSS feed into a widget such as RSS Bean and you can see a list of latest widgets. This saves having to create a new widget.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 - 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're saying amounts to different funtions, different uses, and different user demands.

Being shown a long list of recent widgets is fine if you actually want to check out new ones (although I'd personally rather do so on the site than in a watered-down widget). But it's not the same as being able to judge IF you want to check for new ones that suit you. That's NOT what the RSS feed is for, because it gives you titles and other data, and I don't want titles of widgets I won't use showing up in my dash.

Recent widget widgets are actually kind of limited if they use the RSS feed. For one, isn't the cap on 30 wijjies?

Another limitation: watered down descriptions to save space, or even just titles. No pic? (Hard to show pics, to top it off, pics need space, so one with a buncha pics won't be all that great). Well, that's one more unknown. If you like to download widgets on just their titles and you download every widget, the RSS feed is perfect! Otherwise, such a widget is likely to give you more info then you need, such as titles of widgets you don't want to download, every time you look at it. You'll probably need to scroll too. That's unnecessary user input.

So actually, Ludge, the few widgets that do show latest widgets don't even give pics or descriptions, just the titles, which is often not enough to know if you'll actually have use for the widget. Some widgets link to Safari to learn more, but then you could end up reading a lot more about widgets you don't want. (And RSSBean, what you were talking about, I couldn't even get to work with this site. Tell me if you can, and how. ) The problem is, show any more of the RSS feed and you have to paw through even more needless info. Or it ends up being looking at the RSS just like you would in Safari - and if you're going to do that, you are taking as much time as actually going to the site. For me, the recent widget widgets aren't anywhere near what I'm looking for.

"If there's only a handful of new widgets and a counter could tell me that, I would know to look at the site some other time."

"That's what the RSS feed is for." X

Counter of new widgets since last visit. O

Of course, there are people that look at this site so often that it wouldn't be of much use (even I have been fairly active). But I'm thinking of different user demands.

Besides, widgets with such different output (i.e, NUMBER vs buncha text) are bound to have different uses. What you are saying about an RSS feed widget isn't a valid substitute, even if it were actually useful alone, which I don't personally feel that way.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 - 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, our RSS feed has the full widget description and a screenshot so if widgets were made to work with it properly, they'd be able to display more info.
Ludge

Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 - 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
Actually, our RSS feed has the full widget description and a screenshot so if widgets were made to work with it properly, they'd be able to display more info.

That's what I meant HammerBag, if an RSS aggregator can get the info, so can a widget. It's just a matter of displaying it. It's something I'd be happy to make if time wasn't rather limited right now.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But then wouldn't it be even more like actually looking at the site? I'm sure it's possible, but that's a different aim from looking to see just the number of new-since-visit.
Chris

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BagOfHammers wrote:
But then wouldn't it be even more like actually looking at the site? I'm sure it's possible, but that's a different aim from looking to see just the number of new-since-visit.

I made a VanillaSoap widget that takes all the feeds from here etc and has an info button to show more stuff, such as full description and picture and a link to the download. I've also set it for forum posts etc and it runs in the background and makes a noise when there's something new, so I don't have to constantly check... Much easier than viewing the site and using up loads of bandwidth Smile

It's trivial to get it to tell you just the number of new ones (in fact, I'll do that now, a 'light' mode - and it'll say how many new ones. Yup, I'm bored atm).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris!

Sounds like a neat widget, if it can give you a signal upon noticing a new widget. You'd have to be on the alert for ANY new widget though. Still, that's the best solution for frequent users, I'd think.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 - 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Ideas for counter widgets Reply with quote

BagOfHammers wrote:
Counters that:

Well, it's too late for that one, anyway.

Congratulations to DashboardWidgets.com for reaching the 10,000 mark!
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 - 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ideas for counter widgets Reply with quote

powermac99 wrote:
Stopwatch: chronoTrack

You could also use iChrono. It does minutes:seconds:milliseconds and chronoTrack does hours:minutes:seconds.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next