Recent Widgets


Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners


iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Flip action questions

Author Message
BagOfHammers



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 167
Location: under the lucky hippo tree

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 11:17 am    Post subject: Flip action questions Reply with quote

Once again, to demonstrate my (near) total lack of technical knowledge of widgets, I have decided to post. If I'm lucky, I'll learn something, and if I'm more lucky, this might lead to some more ideas.

About the flipping of widgets...

Flipping often shows preferences, but I've noticed that several widgets flip in odd ways: changing size, shape, and/or position. Why's that? Often the preference options don't demand such changes.

And, wouldn't it be neat to be able to flip widgets to get another usable side (e.g., with another setting, as a duplicate of the front except for other info, etc)? I've seen drop-downs that serve as preferences (e.g., the screen capture widget)...couldn't preferences be moved to drop-downs or slide-outs and the back used for real work? It could do something related or even the same thing as the front, and still save space that calling up a second widget of the same thing would take up. This could be especially useful for large widgets...for example, a weather radar widget is usually pretty big. What if you want to see two locations, fairly frequently? Instead of having two large widgets, couldn't one just be flipped? You probably look at one at a time anyway...

For that matter, couldn't there be multiple sides? Flipping is already a 3d action...what about an action like spinning the cube as found in user switching? Or scrolling? Or simple tabs to switch between views?(I guess the NYTimes widget already does this...) It seems to me that large widgets could benefit by cramming more into the same space, so long as the user could always limit it so that nothing is there that isn't used.
View user's profile Send private message Widgets
Ludge



Joined: 09 May 2005
Posts: 98
Location: UK

Posted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 - 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a bit of a traditionalist, I think it's best to keep the reverse-side of widgets for preferences.

Why?

Most end users are muppets. People who aren't always at home with technology find it easier to user their computer if it follows certain conventions. By this I mean if a few apps all have the same action assigned to the same button (eg, an "i" to change your prefs || a purple "?" to get help) then they'll expect all applications with this button to show the same behaviour.

That's a pretty poor explanation as it's more an argument for the flip-button style than anything else, but it serves to illustrate the point that most people expect the back to have options on it and not have to be viewed during normal widget use.
_________________
BatteryInfo widget
AdiumList widget.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
BagOfHammers



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 167
Location: under the lucky hippo tree

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 - 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me for not knowing how to link this right, but here's the URL for the Capture widget by Chris.

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=113

If that doesn't work, a search for Capture will come up with it.

I definitely agree with you. I like having the "i" and I'm disappointed when there are NO options, or the thing doesn't flip, etc. But I like Capture anyway because nothing about it is confusing. For what I do with it, I should probably just use the keyboard shortcuts, but that's another matter.

My only point is that IF there is potential for facilitating large widgets where otherwise a user would call up two of the same, it might be better to put options somewhere else (but in an obvious way like Capture's) and use the back to save space. Maybe getting too fancy with cubes and stuff should be limited to widgets that truly have use for multiple views. I still like the tabs in the NYTimes widget, although it does look rather horrid.

I DO wish some of those widgets would figure out how to get the thing to flip to an appropriate size, shape, and position for the back. Some of them are just weird, flipping into a larger, longer widget, etc, not centered...what's the point of a realistic flipping if it defies physics? <(lol<) Plus, some don't even use the back for options, just credits, or have very few options...good to keep it simple, but that's a lot of unused space too. Maybe there are some smart ways to utilize that kind of space.
View user's profile Send private message Widgets
Chris



Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 344
Location: Durham, UK

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 - 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BagOfHammers wrote:
I definitely agree with you. I like having the "i" and I'm disappointed when there are NO options, or the thing doesn't flip, etc. But I like Capture anyway because nothing about it is confusing. For what I do with it, I should probably just use the keyboard shortcuts, but that's another matter.

My only point is that IF there is potential for facilitating large widgets where otherwise a user would call up two of the same, it might be better to put options somewhere else (but in an obvious way like Capture's) and use the back to save space. Maybe getting too fancy with cubes and stuff should be limited to widgets that truly have use for multiple views. I still like the tabs in the NYTimes widget, although it does look rather horrid.


Yeah, despite making the two widgets you mentioned with non-standard preferences, I wouldn't really recommend it. Capture being like it is is because me and Rick were playing around, long before Apple formalised on a full guide for widgets (they did have the reverse side etc like now, but it wasn't an 'i' button etc). Uhm, same thing is true for Snake, I suppose.

BagOfHammers wrote:

I DO wish some of those widgets would figure out how to get the thing to flip to an appropriate size, shape, and position for the back. Some of them are just weird, flipping into a larger, longer widget, etc, not centered...what's the point of a realistic flipping if it defies physics? <(lol<) Plus, some don't even use the back for options, just credits, or have very few options...good to keep it simple, but that's a lot of unused space too. Maybe there are some smart ways to utilize that kind of space.


The way I got round it with the VanillaSoap ones was to flip round at the same size as the front, and then shrink or expand to the new dimension. I think it works well enough.

But yeah, I'd recommend staying with using the front for the display and the back for preferences. Although Harald Walker made a cool 'coin flip' widget ages ago that was a nice twist on this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
BagOfHammers



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 167
Location: under the lucky hippo tree

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 - 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I used the best words...

What I meant was that utilizing the back side for real info may be valuable for widgets that would normally otherwise require multiple copies. Maybe if it was only used for 2 cities, the world clock could use this: users typically only need to see one at a time, but may not want to have both open at the same time or call them up each time they want one either.... The solution: double-sided widgets. Of course, I wouldn't recommend this, because many users have use for more than 2 world clocks. But for something like a radar map or other large widget, that is a lot of space to be saved, or making for better accessibility, one or the other.

Some things I'd like to edit on my views:
1) the button for such would not be an "i" for info, assuming that it makes for a double-sided or multiple-sided widget, as the "i" would not be appropriate.
2) I couldn't think of any instance that the motion should be quite fancy like some of the stuff I described. I still hold that it could be useful in appropriate situations, but I doubt there are such situations. So I'm not encouraging it.

<(OO<)
View user's profile Send private message Widgets
galendw



Joined: 30 May 2005
Posts: 71
Location: Here.

Posted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 - 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Apple, you're only supposed to use the flip animation for showing the back side with prefs or other information. I don't think you're supposed to use the flip animation to display another front:

Quote:
Use the flip animation only to show your widget’s back. The back side is for showing preferences or important information that may interest your users. Overusing the animation makes your widget appear unprofessional.
- ADC's Widget Backside Design Guidelines

_________________
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
cerberus



Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Posts: 118

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 - 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris wrote:

VanillaSoap


Very impressive work !

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Chris



Joined: 27 Jan 2005
Posts: 344
Location: Durham, UK

Posted: Sun Jul 24, 2005 - 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerberus wrote:
Chris wrote:

VanillaSoap


Very impressive work !

cerberus


Cheers Smile It still needs an awful lot doing to it, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
BagOfHammers



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 167
Location: under the lucky hippo tree

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 - 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galendw wrote:
According to Apple, you're only supposed to use the flip animation for showing the back side with prefs or other information. I don't think you're supposed to use the flip animation to display another front:

Quote:
Use the flip animation only to show your widget’s back. The back side is for showing preferences or important information that may interest your users. Overusing the animation makes your widget appear unprofessional.
- ADC's Widget Backside Design Guidelines


Ah. I tend to view the link between using the flip action to showing something other than preferences and "overusing the animation" as a leap in logic. Further, wouldn't a widget that is more convenient and more whole appear more professional? I don't want widgets to look "overdone" either; just, some (esp. large) widgets that users may want to use on multiple different settings, etc., normally requiring using multiple copies of the same widget, could be modified only slightly, with some clever settings, and save a lot of space. Having 2, 3, or 4 large widgets of similar info, prior to the consideration of professional appearance, is just plain cumbersome.

But, Apple does seem to think of widgets of strictly having a front for use and a back for settings/credits/misc, showing no indication of any use for 'double-sided' widgets. Why should the possibility be ruled out entirely? Or did Apple strictly mean that the "i" info and the flip action are associated only with settings, etc., and is suggesting another button and another transition, etc., IF such 'double-sided' widgets are to exist? That certainly makes sense, to avoid confusion. I didn't think the animation mattered much, just the button, but maybe a different animation, if possible, could be utilized? I have no clue on that one.
View user's profile Send private message Widgets
cerberus



Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Posts: 118

Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 - 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of Apple's example widgets only have one side. Voices, for example has a PREFERENCE setting on the front. So this issue is -dismissed- AFAIAC ! Please go out and play...and remember to "think different".


cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
BagOfHammers



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 167
Location: under the lucky hippo tree

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 - 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

?

"This issue is dismissed."

Thanks. That always goes somewhere. Does anyone else think that "dismissing issues" is the best way to get NOTHING done?

Lol.

(And what's AFAIAC? I'm tempted to send an ESAD back....)


You must have misunderstood somewhere. "Go out and play"? Sorry, not before you go back and read. Besides, your post is rude, unnecessary, *nearly* irrelevant, and counterproductive, even contradictory, as you "dismiss" the "issue" but then encourage me to "think different". The single good thing I can say about your post is that you DO bring to light the widgets that are single-sided to begin with, and even mention that sometimes preferences are on the front. I touched on the latter previously, but I didn't mention single-sided widgets because they tend to be the extra-simple ones, in my experience, which would not need to utilize the backside to save the space that multiple copies would take up. Technically, I suppose it is relevant, showing the scope of different types of widgets, but it doesn't shed light on the pros or cons of double-sided/multiple-sided widgets. Nor does it have to do with my concern about widgets flipping to the wrong position/size/shape. But what's with the attitude? Did I disturb your sensitivities in some other thread? If I did, I'm sorry, but I still would appreciate something more insightful. Or maybe I missed something? Care to clear it up for me?

I've said before that if I am lucky I'll come across some interesting ideas, and so far I appreciate most of what I have read, albeit there has been much on the fundamentals that don't address the potential and instead look to reject the idea, because of course, those are important perspectives to keep in mind. But I don't seem to be very lucky with your posts, cerberus. Too bad.

/(**/)
View user's profile Send private message Widgets
cerberus



Joined: 20 Jun 2005
Posts: 118

Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 - 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIAC = As far as I am concerned.

The reason I am cynical towards you is because you came up with an idea that literally matches what Apple did with the Control Strip. We were all using a "dashboard" like this not long ago, but you refuse to examine the reasons why Apple dropped this paradigm.

Also you often ask for features that exist in widgets.. There is a widget for example that checks all your other widgets for updates, so that touches on another issue that you raised about how to keep track of updates, but when you discuss this issue, you don't acknowledge that someone is working on the problem already.

The author of "MiniCPUHeat" etc. has made {Edit.. this is not quite what I thought it was...though it looks like an interesting concept to develop in the direction of what BOH as been asking for....}

And when you say you can't code a widget. Neither could I.. I just wanted to do it badly enough. My goal in criticizing your posts is to help spur you make a widget, because I think you want to, and also you are full of ideas, but words alone are not so impressive when you have the power to actually change things.

The topics you raise are very controversial. They were all argued very hotly when OSX was first shown to Mac users. Apple made a lot of mistakes ( e.g. putting the Apple menu in the center of the menu bar to represent the light source of Aqua), and it took many users saying many rude things to get Apple to follow some of their own HUI guidelines. So please do not take my attitude personally.

I think our basic area of disagreement boils down to: A widget that reads an RSS does not need to look, feel, or work the same as a widget that plays chess. I think that to make rules that are too stiff will stifle creativity, so I encourage bending the rules just like Apple does...

It is just the same with another discipline I study :Music theory.... Music theory comes about when someone breaks the known rules and it turns out to work, so then the theorists have to explain how it works.. Whether music is "right" or "wrong" by the rules, if it becomes popular, then a new set of rules are written to cover that style, and this is then taught to students as "music theory" An example is jazz, which breaks many rules for classical music.. If it was really "illegal" to break music theory "laws", then we would not have jazz or Bach, etc... just Gregorian chants.

So I am simply standing up for an interpretation of Apple's HUI guidelines that allows for innovation and evolution of the species. Your arguments are very deeply colored, so I don't think my responses are inappropriate. I know we sometimes disagree, but again I think you step into controversial areas, so please do not take a vigorous response personally. I am simply directing you to study some history too. Anyone would say to you, go do some research on the history of UI design... I recall a site called "Joel on Software" which you might want to google, and also any site that mentions "fitts law" (or is it "fitt's law" ?) will probably also have other information on computers and ergonomic principles you might be interested in. I am not trying to insult you, but for the sake of the debate, please get up to speed on the history.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
BagOfHammers



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 167
Location: under the lucky hippo tree

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 - 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerberus wrote:
The reason I am cynical towards you is because you came up with an idea that literally matches what Apple did with the Control Strip. We were all using a "dashboard" like this not long ago, but you refuse to examine the reasons why Apple dropped this paradigm.


Hmm... You refuse to acknowledge what this thread is about. "The reason I am cynical towards you," and so on...is that just another way of saying you prefer to be cynical rather than critical? I only know OS X. A lot of users only know OS X. They don't need to consider why Apple dropped this "Control Strip" you are talking about, which I highly doubt was a Dashboard widget that displayed several indicators in an accessible manner. But, again, that's a DIFFERENT THREAD. Let's try to stay on topic, eh?

cerberus wrote:
Also you often ask for features that exist in widgets.. There is a widget for example that checks all your other widgets for updates, so that touches on another issue that you raised about how to keep track of updates, but when you discuss this issue, you don't acknowledge that someone is working on the problem already.


Your evidence is peculiar. There IS a widget that checks for updates, which, I happen to use. But, I don't remember "raising" any "issue" (by which you mean 'thread') about "how to keep track of updates". I wouldn't, because I already have the widget. You are likely simply confused, remembering a thread about the Showcase sorting widgets by the number of updates. So, unless I've forgotten and I have actually entered a comment or a thread about "how to keep track of updates", that little bit of your comment was unnecessary, irrelevant, AND incorrect.

"... but when you discuss this issue, you don't acknowledge that someone is working on the problem already." - Who? Who is working on innovative multi-sided widgets designed to save space by showing data otherwise shown on multiple copies of the widget? Who? Can you name one? The closest I have found recently was the Woot.com widget, which does flip and change sizes, which is using the flip action in a new way, in my experience. But that's only remotely similar, and does not really have anything to do with double-sided widgets. So before making serious accusations about how I don't acknowledge this or that, make sure you know what you are talking about. I give credit where it is due. To the best of my knowledge, no widget uses the kind of multi-sided option I have imagined. Give me an example of one, and I'll give credit. Otherwise, hold your tongue; I don't care for false accusations.

Don't get me wrong.... I'm not trying to imply that anyone should be "working on the problem", as Cerberus stated it. I'm just making an observation that some rather large widgets MAY possibly benefit from having multiple sides rather than demanding multiple separate copies. The radar widget comes to mind, if you want to see weather throughout the world on a regular basis. But, my personal opinion is that I cannot really help the clouds floating over maps, and thus, radar widgets don't give me much to work with. So my idea is purely in theory - IF there is a large widget that is likely to have users want to see multiple settings, etc., demanding multiple copies to be put on the Dash, there could be an option that saves the waste of space by putting all such settings, etc., on multiple sides of the widget.

cerberus wrote:
And when you say you can't code a widget. Neither could I.. I just wanted to do it badly enough. My goal in criticizing your posts is to help spur you make a widget, because I think you want to, and also you are full of ideas, but words alone are not so impressive when you have the power to actually change things.


You're not just being cynical because you like to be? You're cynical because you want to force me to make widgets! Now, in all honesty, I appreciate the comment that I "have the power to actually change things", I really don't intend to do so through the forums or the widgets. To my best judgement, I am not of the kind of personality that would actually persevere with any widget, because I would fail to reach the ideal in my head, and then find that it is possible only to come close, and that not being enough for me to post it. It's kind of like visual art, I suppose, especially if the focus is on realism...it is easy enough to imagine in your head, but another thing altogether to realize what is imagined. Of course, I realize that few developers think their widgets are perfect, (or at least, I haven't seen any perfect widgets) but, I'm betting that many developers have at least either reached a satisfactory result or have experienced some sort of joy or fulfillment in making widgets. I'm not one that is interested in the joys of making widgets. I am only interested in the end product, or maybe functional bits. I am, by definition and by personality, a user...when it comes to widgets.

So, I'm not going to be making widgets, at least not anytime soon. Got that? And just because you made a different decision doesn't mean a pile of beans to me. "My goal in criticizing your posts is to help spur you make a widget", you say. Well, like I say, I somewhat appreciate that you want me to make a widget, and you even said I'm full of ideas. But, in terms of widgets, I'm a user, and you are being what is referred to as a "busybody". I don't try to run your life, why try to bother me with mine?

cerberus wrote:
The topics you raise are very controversial. They were all argued very hotly when OSX was first shown to Mac users. Apple made a lot of mistakes ( e.g. putting the Apple menu in the center of the menu bar to represent the light source of Aqua), and it took many users saying many rude things to get Apple to follow some of their own HUI guidelines. So please do not take my attitude personally.


Really, I haven't taken anything you posted "personally", as in, considering something an attack on my person, self-perceived or reputationally. But, I am upset because you keep changing the topic and discussing what is not even relevant, and then stating things like "this issue is dismissed" because you confused the topic with something else. Even if you WERE on to something, which you weren't, and have chosen to ignore, who made you the all-mighty thread-dismisser? I don't care about any disagreement in perspective or opinion...those are expected, productive, healthy, and welcome. But, how can we even have "controversy" if we can't decide what we are talking about? You seem to be stuck on the "real dashboard widget" thread. This thread is not about that. If you want to comment on that, do it in the proper thread. As for this one, I don't see any controversy. This is just another example us not even being able to agree what to disagree on, let alone "controversy". It would help if you did 2 things: read my posts to make sure you know what I'm talking about, and POST IN THE PROPER THREAD.

cerberus wrote:
I think our basic area of disagreement boils down to: A widget that reads an RSS does not need to look, feel, or work the same as a widget that plays chess. I think that to make rules that are too stiff will stifle creativity, so I encourage bending the rules just like Apple does...


I don't see the logic there, if there is any. I don't see that we have truly disagreed on anything other than what to disagree on. If I say, all-purpose, real dashboard indicator widget, you say, Control Strip (which I presume could not have existed as a widget in Dashboard). If I say, flipping, double-sided widget options, you say, there is a single sided widget so the issue is dismissed. If I say, on what grounds, you seem to be confusing the topic with something else, you ignore that and tell me I should make widgets. What is wrong with this picture? Is it that I'm not expressing myself clearly enough for you?

cerberus wrote:
It is just the same with another discipline I study :Music theory.... Music theory comes about when someone breaks the known rules and it turns out to work, so then the theorists have to explain how it works.. Whether music is "right" or "wrong" by the rules, if it becomes popular, then a new set of rules are written to cover that style, and this is then taught to students as "music theory" An example is jazz, which breaks many rules for classical music.. If it was really "illegal" to break music theory "laws", then we would not have jazz or Bach, etc... just Gregorian chants.


Now, I really don't know what Music Theory 101 has to do with double-sided widgets, but I do admire musicians/music-related studies. That said, I didn't need you to tell me that, as if it was the latest breaking news, music isn't based on rules. By the way, it isn't entirely based on rule-breaking either, although as you say, perhaps music theory is largely based on rules and rules that have been broken or modified.

It's fine to say we should be more innovative, but frankly, concerning this topic, I consider the posts voicing opinons against my proposed idea sincere, and therefore valid. They are saying that this may not be a worthwhile innovation, and they have shown me why. If you want to support my idea(s) concerning this topic, that's great! But, I'm really asking "what do you think" to anybody that cares, so I want some reasoning to help me understand your views, specifically about this topic. Not innovation in general, because we are not discussing whether or not the idea is innovative, but whether or not it has potential/usefullness.

cerberus wrote:
So I am simply standing up for an interpretation of Apple's HUI guidelines that allows for innovation and evolution of the species. Your arguments are very deeply colored, so I don't think my responses are inappropriate. I know we sometimes disagree {I'm waiting for you to get on my topic...}, but again I think you step into controversial areas, so please do not take a vigorous response personally.


I don't give a darn if you give me a "vigorous response", if only you'd STAY ON TOPIC! And READ my posts before responding. Your response that the topic was "dismissed" was entirely out of line, illogical, and mistaken. Some of your other responses demonstrate incoherence...not all, but some of the ones I have read. What you feel are "very deeply colored" "arguments" are likely your take on some earlier posts that I have made, often trying to clarify what I meant because I don't feel I expressed myself appropriately.

cerberus wrote:
I am simply directing you to study some history too. Anyone would say to you, go do some research on the history of UI design... I recall a site called "Joel on Software" which you might want to google, and also any site that mentions "fitts law" (or is it "fitt's law" ?) will probably also have other information on computers and ergonomic principles you might be interested in.


"Anyone would say to you" - great, another person who refuses to hammer out reasonable statements and instead tries to declare that the whole world thinks such and such. Does anyone else think I should go do some research on the history of UI design? Again, I am only representing one user's perspective (mine). Should all users go study UI design? I think not. A user and a developer are different.

I think it was on xvsxp.com or whatever it was called that I first heard about Fitt's law, which really deals with a very broad scope of distance and aiming/pointing something at a target, or something like that. Basically, what I got out of it was that like you mentioned, it's more useful to put a button like the Apple button on the menu bar in a corner rather than the middle, or in any other example where you can put a target to move the mouse to, the useful goal is to aim for a minimum of action (as in steps, not length or amount) on the user part. That's fine and dandy, seems like one good measure of UI design...but the user doesn't HAVE to know this. Plus, it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, nor does it justify the "this issue is dismissed" declaration. Cerb, care to back it up? Or do you just go around dismissing threads on whim?

cerberus wrote:
I am not trying to insult you, but for the sake of the debate, please get up to speed on the history.


There is no "debate". All these things...OS9 control strip, an "area of disagreement", you wanting me to make widgets, etc...these things, all these things you have been filling up this thread with, are in some imaginary debate in your head. This thread was never meant to be a debate.

"Please get up to speed on the history." "Go out and play." "Anyone would say to you, go do some research." "My goal...is to help spur you {to} make a widget...." So on, so forth, blah blah blah. Telling people what to do, especially with no authority, no authoritating evidence, or even a shred of relevant insight, in this kind of ugly, condescending, and argumentative manner, cerb, makes you seem like an arrogant, obnoxious, and ignorant busybody. I'm not saying you are, necessarily, always arrogant, obnoxious, and/or ignorant. But, you may like to read the Terms of Service sometime: here's a chunk -

Questionable Content
Please refrain from posting Questionable Content such as material that is knowingly false and/or defamatory, misleading, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, racist, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, that otherwise violates any law, or that encourages conduct constituting a criminal offense.


I don't think what you've done is all that serious, but only because you don't seem to have a clue about what the topic of the thread is or what you sound like to me.

Please let me know if you feel I have analyzed anything incorrectly, although I highly doubt it. And be sure to include something about why you felt that a singe example of a single sided widget would suffice a declaration dismissing this thread. I'm quite curious to know if there's anything to what you say or if it is a lot of hot air, which is what the condescending attitude and the imperatives on what I should do about UI research, widgets, etc., indicate.

And please quit thinking this is a debate. That'll just lead you to posting more convoluted messages that block the real purpose of this thread. I don't think this qualifies as enough of a serious problem for the administrators to take notice, but if you continue like this, they might just get annoyed like I have gotten.

If you want to message me part of your imaginary "debate", or otherwise argue with me, send me a private message and I might bother to look at it. Don't post on this thread unless you will make relevant comments.
View user's profile Send private message Widgets
mattf
Server Admin


Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Posts: 45

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 - 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright guys, this "debate" is really getting off-topic. Let's try and keep it related to the original conversation because powermac99 is tired and doesn't want to read these long posts anymore. He might just lock the thread out of frustration. Razz

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets
BagOfHammers



Joined: 03 Jul 2005
Posts: 167
Location: under the lucky hippo tree

Posted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 - 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No kidding...I know my posts are too long, but I'm sincerely just trying to get cerb to make sense. It's easy for me to get going. I could have just said, "you don't make no sense" and "stay on topic" but that doesn't fully cover it.

Please, anyone reading this, read the original post and discuss the topic! That IS what the threads are for!
View user's profile Send private message Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

 
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group