Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Minesweeper

Chris

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 - 4:45 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could post a mock up of how they think a minesweeper gadget should look. The coding part is near enough done, but, true to form, it looks awful

Cheers guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
tugga

Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 - 4:45 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

So does the difficulty level just add more mines to existing grid or does it make the grid bigger/smaller?

More mines

Some games also then have an option to increase the number of squares, but I don't know many people who do that...
Chris

OK, so this one's nearly complete now, but I'll need to wait till I get home in 6 hours in order to make sure it works well as a gadget.

Some quick questions:
- How many mines should there be for each difficulty level?
- Where shall I put the pause button?
- How exactly do groups work?

By the last question I mean: blanks are obviously grouped by adjacent blanks, but how do you add the numbers to these groups? Is it just one number deep? Does anyone have a clue about what I'm going on about?

I think it's time to actually play a proper game of it and find out...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Chris

Right, so I played a proper game, and I think I have it nailed. Once again, I'm going to release a 0.1 version to find the bugs. I completely re-wrote what I'd done a year ago today at work in about an hour and a half. The speed improvemnt is pretty fantastic, but because I did it so quick it'd be good to get some feedback to see if I did it right. I probably should change my name on here incase someone from work browses these fora and reports me

Anyway, I'm just going to consolidate my internet highscores thing so that it can be easily plugged into all my gadgets and then I think I'll release it (assuming someone can give suggestions for questions 1 and 2 from my last post).

Cheers,

Chris
The Inn Keeper

Going with the idea of making 'P' pause the game, why don't you put a small note at the bottom of the splash screen saying 'Press 'P' to Pause Game' to make it clear?
Chris

OK. So I've done the game exactly as to how it's been discussed in this thread. I'm just about to post it off to Jeremy.

There's a few things to note:
- gadgets don't seem to support the oncontextmenu event so, I've written in that you need to hold down the alt/option key to 'flag' a mine. Playing it from within safari allows you to use right click to do this instead.
- There's the annoying problem of gadgets always using the same thing for Math.random (as has been noted elsewhere). This kinda sucks the fun out of the game a bit when being played as a gadget, but never mind
- It's an early release, so please, please, please give me some feedback. I don't play the game, so I'm not sure if it works correctly (mainly as to how it groups blanks etc together). Sorry for using you lot as 'beta testers' - I'm too busy/impacient to do it myself Thanks for all your help!
- If you win or lose it does the same thing. This obviously needs to be changed. I imagine Rick'll want to do the graphics for it, although I haven't asked him - so the next release might look completely different. Who knows?
- No highscores yet. I should've pout in local ones, because that's simple, but I'm hammering away at internet high scores (there's me going on about it again...) so I thought I'd just wait. This release really is to test the actually functionality of the game. Whch suggests it's not even a beta release as the feature set isn't solid yet. Hmm...

Sorry for writing so much - looking forward to comments/suggestions from you guys!

Chris
Chris

Oh yeah - and I know that the back of the gadget looks funny because it tiles itself. I couldn't be bothered changing it though
cripen

That's a credible start Chris but I found a major playability issue. When you 'flag' a mine, its simply a note to yourself that you *think* a mine is there. Every time you place a flag, the 'mines remaining' number should tick down one. In your version, the number only ticks down if you actually flag a mine! So you can tell damn well where the mines are by flagging all the squares, and looking to see if the number goes down.

Must be hard making a gmae if you don't play it yourself, so i hope I was clear.
Chris

Yeah. I presumed that was how it worked. Ah well - it's incredibly easy to take that one out. I should probably have engaged my brain a bit to see how that would make winning incredibly easy.

How does it work with the grouping? As in the squares it clears when you click on a square (does that make sense?). I think I've noticed that the top ones in an imploied group don't actually get grouped. I'll have to look at that...
Chris

Wow. I'm impressed guys. Thanks very much!
I'll try and get that one rolled out either today or tomorrow.

So does the difficulty level just add more mines to existing grid or does it make the grid bigger/smaller?

Oh,a nd as it is, I just add the numbers as writing, so this is good.
JackoMac

Wow Jeremy that's great I didn't really have anything in mind, but the red and yellow look really snazzy together. I can't believe what a difference it makes looking at my graphics with your graphics wrapped around them. Just wow.
Rick T

Anything specific you would like? I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough, but I figure anyone with a mockup might like to know if you had any colours in mind, or a certain 'feel' to it.

Did you want it to be of a similar 'theme' to the ones Jeremy has done for PacMan and Snake (a sort of glossy colourful bevel), or were you after a more subtle approach?
JackoMac

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot if I knew the dimensions of everything. Are you able to post a screenshot of what it currently looks like (even if it is terrible!) just so I could see how big everything needs to be?
JackoMac

Wait, unless you mean that you want someone to design the interface, and then you will code everything to work with it - in that case I can just make a design and you make it work right?
Chris

Yup, that'll do.
Basically, I have a working version, so I just need a nice front end to put over the top of it.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next