Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central
Goto page 1, 2  Next

A Terminal Gadget

iremembercliford

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 - 5:34 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Hi,
I and another student made a gadget at WWDC that was a terminal window, and fully functional. I was curious how many of you would be interested in it?
Hes Nikke

Posted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 - 5:34 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

i saw that gadget at WWDC, and didn't think to hand you my card asking if i could get a copy

think you could email it to me? hesnikke [at] ForgottenNewbies [dot] com
iremembercliford

So this isn't reproducable on other machines?

What isn't? The errors? The errors are, I am saying many of them are because of my build. If I ever get a newer build, then I can correct them.

I will post a copy of the gadget soon. I want to fix a couple small things. There are many interface bugs, but I will have them fixed before Tiger's official release. This is a version we threw together for that contest. Unfortunately we finished a few hours too late.
CapHector

I'd love to get a version of that.
dev_nut

The Dashboard engine does not properly recognize HTML and CSS elements. See that scroll bar...sometimes when you click on it, it works, and other times it's like it's not there, and clicks right through to the desktop and exits Dashboard.

So this isn't reproducable on other machines? Good work on the gadget though I must say, a Terminal gadget at this stage isn't quite as easy to create as it looks.
iremembercliford

Yes, there is fairly complex plugin hard at work.

The problems existing at the moment are solely in my build of Dashboard. The Dashboard engine does not properly recognize HTML and CSS elements. See that scroll bar...sometimes when you click on it, it works, and other times it's like it's not there, and clicks right through to the desktop and exits Dashboard.

Unfortunately it still seems that Apple is not planning on seeding the student developers from WWDC. That said, I will not really be able to improve the gadget to where it needs to be before the official release.
Solsonic

That looks freaking sweet iremembercliford. Can't wait to get my hands on that, nice work man.

Did you have to create a plugin to have it work properly? Just wondering. Thanks/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
iremembercliford

Rick T

I'm not quite sure of all the legal issues here, but two additional things I wuld take into consideration are:

1) Dave Hyatt has been posting extensively in his blog recently about Dashboard, gadgets, and the code that goes into creating them. Not promotional talking, but serious developer issues and coding decisions. I feel that what is going on here is far *less* in depth than Dave Hyatt's commenty to be honest.

2) Although it doesn't 'excuse' any behaviour as such, it is by far in Apple's best interests to have developers working on new Dashboard gadgets. The whole concept of the Dashboard isn't a secret, and Steve was actively encouraging developers to get onboard with new Tiger Technologies ASAP.

Either way, worst case scenario if Apple did decide to care one day, is that some aspects of this site would be put on hold for a few months. Ideally that doesn't need to happen though. I look forward to your gadget!
The Inn Keeper

My main request would be the the terminal supports drag and drop, since I use this quite a bit for simple things like dragging a directory from the Finder into a terminal window.

A less important, but still relevant request for me would be customization of the appearance. Not a big deal, but I prefer black text, white background, yet nearly every terminal I see others with has black background, green text (like the matrix) and it doesn't do much for me. Adding some color customization settings on the back could solve this.
iremembercliford

well, first, I am not the only developer, so I will discuss a timeline with the other developer. And in response to dev_nut:

I don't think you understand their written agreement. Releasing code without proper permission is illegal because it has viewable references to API's which are not publicly available, via the embedded JavaScript.

I still have some work to do on the use interface, like drag and drop, but I would love to hear some suggestions on things you'd like to see. As of now it is simple a bash terminal, and does not suport applications that take control of your terminal, like emacs. This would be quite impossible given the current frameworks. I will post a screenshot tomorrow.

Edit by Jeremy: corrected post to reflect correct poster (didn't log in)
Chris

I don't think you understand their written agreement. Releasing code without proper permission is illegal because it has viewable references to API's which are not publicly available, via the embedded JavaScript.

That's what I have a problem with too. Luckily, I don't have much gadget specific code in the ones I make, so it'd be easy to just strip out the if gadget parts.

I'm 99% convinced this is all legal though, hence why I post what I make...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
The Inn Keeper

Hey iremembercliford thanks for the offer, I would love to use your gadget - when do you plan on releasing it?
vmirce

I don't have a use for a terminal gadget until Tiger is publicly released, but I look forward to trying it out then!
dev_nut

That's understandable - when the site first came out lots of people were questioning the legalities. I think the main thing to come out of the discussion was:

1) If you release some code that is all your own, then there is nothing illegal going on, since it is your code.

2) Tiger has been previewed publicly, and thus Dashboard is not a secret, therefore general discussion of Dashboard is okay.

3) None of Apple's property is being distributed on here, merely people's own creations (gadgets), that run in Safari and other web browsers. If you happen to have Tiger because of a developer membership, then these will also run in Tiger. If not, then there aren't as useful, but you are welcome to play the games and use the utilities in a web browser.

4) Especially as Tiger comes closer to public release, this will become less of an issue, since when is the 'right' time to start a Dashboard site? It would be silly to release a dashboard site on the day Tiger is released, since there would be no gadgets on there! Developers often release updates to apps for upcoming OS versions, so gadgets should be no different.

Of course you are welcome to do as you please, however I personally would appreciate it greatly if you were to release your Terminal Gadget

(sorry for rambling this post went on further than I expected!)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next