Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

Website compatibility

Poll Results: Have you seen this site display correctly on any computer running other than Mac OS X?
Yes
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
No
50%
 50%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 4

jtbandes

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 - 9:59 am    Post subject: Website compatibility Reply with quote

I have never seen this website display correctly on any computer but mine.

I have tried PCs, older Macs, and it just doesn't display like it's supposed to.

Could you try and make it compatible with other/older computers/browsers?
Ludge

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 - 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this site is pretty much mac-only, but when I tried to visit from a University computer using IE, you could barely see it. It would have been easier without stylesheets at all!
pm
Administrator

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 - 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site works fine in the following environments:

Mac OS X > Safari
Mac OS X > Firefox
Mac OS X > Omniweb
Mac OS X > Opera
Mac OS X > Camino

Windows XP > Firefox
Windows XP > Opera
Windows XP > Netscape

I can't speak to previous versions of Windows or Mac OS but I do know that the site is not compatible with Internet Explorer.

The big issue is who is using our site. Our site is targeted at users of Mac OS X Tiger and we feel that the list of compatible browsers encompasses the vast majority of that target audience. While we are certainly interested in supporting as many browsers as possible, we can't justify investing significant resources in a browser that's used by virtually none of our target audience (in their normal widget-downloading workflow).

Now, I can understand that many people browse the site from work or school and that Windows may be the only available option. For those people, I recommend using Firefox or one of the other browser options listed above, at least until IE 7 comes out.

Unfortunately, besides that recommendation, there isn't much we can do. IE's poor stylesheet handling prevents complex CSS-driven sites from displaying properly and our site's layout is extremely complex.
jtbandes

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 - 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Well that explains a lot. Thanks for telling me.
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 - 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it on a PC (just the showcase). The categories on the right side were in the right place. However the widgets were down below.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Internet Explorer doesn't like DashboardWidgets. Firefox works nicely, though Smile
mattf
Server Admin

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that in many computer lab and work environments, it's next to impossible to install software. However, I hold zero sympathy towards any computer lab manager that hasn't loaded their computers with Firefox. Using Internet Explorer is one of the worst ideas around in such a vulnerable environment like that (other than using Windows, but we won't go there). For those of you (lab admins) who are wondering "Firefox, what the crap?!?! What? " - just go to getfirefox.com Smile

-m
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN MessengerWidgets