Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

Quote marks in widget descriptions

jtbandes

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 - 10:17 pm    Post subject: Quote marks in widget descriptions Reply with quote

I noticed that you can't put quote marks (' or ") in widget descriptions without it adding a backslash (\) before them. Is there a way you can make it so it doesn't do that? It's really annoying when you're trying to type contractions and you can't. ;^)
Niles: "I most certainly will not!"
-Frasier
jonlink

Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 - 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't checked this out lately, but that should be fine. use quotes and single quotes-- everything should show up properly. if you are revising a desciption just delete the backslashes (they'll come back next time though)

the backslash escapes the quote, which is important in the site's coding, otherwise things would break.

however, it shouldn't show up when you are editing the description-- the webdev people should strip slashes before we see it, but that is another story. they also shouldn't be adding the backslash if it is already there-- that is even worse.
jtbandes

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can type them in the description fine, it's just that when they finish reviewing the widget and it is posted, the backslashes show up. I know it should help the site, but if they are actually showing up, I don't think they are helping.
Niles: "I most certainly will not!"
-Frasier
jonlink

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

like i said, i hadn't paid much attention. if that is the case the webfolks here need to use stripslashes() and clear those buggers out.

to the webfolks, if you are reading this-- just use stripslashes(yourVariable) to whatever you are gonna print out whether it be an editable description or a non-editable one. you obviously have the mechanics in place to add them, but you need to remove them as well.
pm
Administrator

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, they're removed when displaying the description on details.php and on multi-widget view but we didn't have them stripped in update.php. They have been now.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 - 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, that was quick! Thank you.