Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Testing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

iTunes widget needs testing/feedback

jonlink

Posted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 - 8:15 pm    Post subject: iTunes widget needs testing/feedback Reply with quote

hey folks, i have what i think is the final version of DashTunes. i would really appreciate it if anyone could take a look and give feedback or report bugs/weirdness before i call it 1.0

thanks Smile

--EDIT--
slight update, here is release candidate 2

--EDIT 2--
link to newst candidate is located below.
jonlink

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm noticing that there are very few repsonses to any of these 'testing' posts. is that because of lack of interest in the widgets or because people dont tend to look in this part of the forum?
rmathus

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'd like to say it works great, there was a problem when I started it up. It was nearly all transparent. The buttons were the only items to show. I had to do numerous refreshes to see the interface.

Once it finally loaded, it was running extremely slow. For example, when I hit pause and then play, it takes a few seconds to even respond, which isn't an issue.

But when I hit the Info button, it takes upwards of 10 seconds or more to flip the back. I can't really reproduce it enough to give you a better idea of when it happens and what I do to make it happen, but it's a bit slow for my taste. The Info button didn't show up a few times when I switched to Dashboard, too. Confused
jonlink

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great. not the issues obviously, but the feedback, thanks a ton. i'll get right onto the display & info things.

the play/pause button is another issue altogher. i use the itunes widget plugin for a lot of things, but playpause doesn't work how it should so i had to use applescript for that which explains the kind of annoying lag. hopefully apple will fix the issue and i can ditch the applescript.

thanks again.
rmathus

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of figured that Applescript was the reason for the lag Smile

If I find anything else weird about it, I'll let ya know!
jonlink

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for lending a hand, rmathus.

I've updated things, the no background issue is eliminated, and i think i got the info delay problem crunched too.

play/pause is still sucky... i switched to using the album art plugin which offers only the smallest advantage but i'll take it. maybe if i get crazy one day i'll learn carbon and make my own plugin (or work on eyeTunes by the albumart widget developer), but right now i dont even have the time to be doing this thing.

if anyone looks at my code, feel free to point out anything i've done that is dumb.

thanks.

--Newest version is below--
rmathus

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking better :koolaid:

The rating system doesn't seem to work for me. For example, I am listening to a song that is rated 5 stars by me through iTunes. When I try re-rating it via DashTunes (R3), it just clears my rating of the song regardless of what I told DashTunes to rate it. I can't seem to get it to work.

The info delaying still happens, too, for me. Not really a big deal since it appears the widget gets all of the data from iTunes first, and then loads the info button.

Other than that, I can't see any problems. No problem w/ helping out - I enjoy helping others Smile
cerberus

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonlink wrote:
i'm noticing that there are very few repsonses to any of these 'testing' posts. is that because of lack of interest in the widgets or because people dont tend to look in this part of the forum?

I made a few posts on this thread but you asked for them to be deleted.
Something I said ?

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
jonlink

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I made a few posts on this thread but you asked for them to be deleted.
Something I said ?

no, i sorry if you thought that--

the reason i asked for the thread to be deleted was because it was screwed up, somehow i managed to start the topic as a "guest" instead of as "jonlink." not only could i not get rid of the links to the old versions, but there was also like four posts of just me figuring out that the thread was all screwy.

i appreciated very much the feedback you offered.

Quote:
When I try re-rating it via DashTunes (R3), it just clears my rating of the song regardless of what I told DashTunes to rate it. I can't seem to get it to work.

crap, that was because of the new plugin. it was actually rating them, but the highest rating you could give them is 5, which would seem right, but iTunes actually rates things from 0-100, so 5 is less than 1 star (1 star is 20).

it's fixed now, thanks for catching that.
link removed, see showcase for 1.0
rmathus

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 - 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonlink wrote:
DashTunes RC4

Psst...the download's missing...

Edit: (corrected) Looks like you were trying to put this link with the .wdgt in it DashTunes RC4 I'll test it and let ya know if anything's quirky!
rmathus

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 - 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After testing it for a bit, it looks great and works as it should. I can't find any problems - nice job Very Happy
cerberus

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 - 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither of the posted links work for me; the corrected link from rmathus leads to something, but it stalls here after just 16kb of it are downloaded.

I noticed the appearance of DashTunes evolved really quickly between beta versions... even over a few hours just the other day. The shadows suddenly got softer and better lit.. It looks very polished now. I can't wait to try it.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
jonlink

Posted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 - 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for fixing my link... don't know what i was thinking.

i've caught two more obscure things and i think at this point i'm gonna release it. i don't think my brain/schedule can handle anymore of this right now.

thanks a ton for the help!!
jonlink

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 - 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay there is an annoying issue some people are having so can people please give me the readout of their consoles (for those who don't know it is found in applications->utilities->console)

i've set it to printout "isRunning output: ..." the dot dot dot being whatever the variable isRunning is set to. if people could post what they get here it would really help me figure out why for some people DashTunes starts itunes.

thanks.

please see the next page for the latest link
rmathus

Posted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 - 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I get for output in the Console:

Code:
2005-08-23 16:13:46.060 DashboardClient[756] com.jonlink.DashTunes: isRunning output:  477  ??  S      0:00.14 /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/Resources/iTunesHel
  711  ??  S     13:58.76 /Applications/iTunes.app/Contents/MacOS/iTunes -psn_0
  759  ??  Ss     0:00.01 /bin/sh -c //bin/ps -A | grep iTunes
  761  ??  S      0:00.01 grep iTunes
(event handler):Null value
2005-08-23 16:13:51.976 DashboardClient[756] (com.jonlink.DashTunes) undefined: Null value (line: 0)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next