Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Requests

A image widget with skins and a customizable size/color

Powermacguy

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 9:28 am    Post subject: A image widget with skins and a customizable size/color Reply with quote

We need a widget with the ability to drop in a image, have multimple skins around it, and have it screen size customizable. Any takers? This would pretty much stop all image widgets. Maybe throw in a timer.....
jonlink

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is a great idea, but it wont stop image widgets-- the customizable countdown widget didnt stop countdown widgets.

make sure that in addition to to having skins you also have no skin ie everything but the image is transparent.

also, you'll want the widget size to adjust to the image, i think js can do this pretty easy (i've never tried it but i imagine there is some easy way to calculate image size)

... i'm sure you already thought of all these things.

good luck!
BagOfHammers

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adjusting size to match the image may cause the widget to get excessively big or even step outside the screen, no? I'd rather have it start small and be capable of proportionate resize, if possible with feedback as to the relative size (i.e, a display showing % original size).

I don't know about it "stopping" other image widgets, but I agree that customization done right could make a widget more useful to the user, and therefore "top" other widgets of the sort.

I don't know about a timer, but a natural inclusion (in my opinion) would be the ability for the image inside to change periodically (refresh to next image in a file every x min or manually), because a static image on the screen will likely wear out, while having a few chosen by the user could effectively decorate the dashboard. Again, full on/off capability and detailed options (like random, manual switch, etc.,) would be in order, if it is to top other widgets in usability.

I'd certainly find a use for such a widget.
Powermacguy

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am currently working on one....... Finally with alot of code from other widgets to see how its done as well as hard code
cerberus

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope that segdeha's SlideShow widget will eventually have drag and drop loading.

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
jonlink

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 - 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Adjusting size to match the image may cause the widget to get excessively big or even step outside the screen, no?

true, but if you have the size you can easily check it and set a max. also, most folks can resize an image, but it would be pretty easy to add this function into the widget i think.

best of luck powermac
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 - 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't add a timer. (See here.)
twisted

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 - 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see here
zweben

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 - 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already posted a modified version of Apple's image widget, which has a completely blank interface, perfect for replacing image widgets. It didn't stop many people, but not many people heard about it either.

Here it is:

http://www.dashboardwidgets.com/showcase/details.php?wid=765
cerberus

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 - 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zweben,

Why not add a screenshot for the showcase ? A picture is worth a thousand words, as you know...

cerberus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.