Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Finished my AlarmClock gadget :-)

joephish

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 - 4:15 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

My first forays into javascript, css and gadget creation!

www.josephcreates.com/alarmclock

Tell me what you think! Thanks to Chris on the forums for answers to some questions I had to ask on the way
spauldingg

Posted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 - 4:15 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

looks nice,real nice. Too bad it can't be tested within Safari
The Inn Keeper

Just downloaded it now, cool gadget!

Chris

That's really nice! What happens when you haven't f12'd to show the dashboard?

Edit: just looked through the code - it continually runs no matter what. I like the 'RIPPED FROM APPLE' part Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
joephish

Yes, I'm a bit unhappy with the the amount of CPU it uses Confused (check Activity Monitor), and the number of threads! I'm not what to do about it though. I separated the minute and second timers out so that when the dashboard isn't shown it only processes every minute rather than every second, but it still seems to do lots of rubbishness in the background.

I think the number of threads is because of java...
Chris

you could go even further and have it checking just once an hour up until the hour is right... You mind if I play around with it a wee bit, just to take my mind off other things? I must admit, I'd dismissed the idea of doing an alarm clock because of apple's recommendation of gadgets using none of the CPU when the dashboard isn't being shown...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
joephish

What you could actually do, is just set a timeout for several hours and minutes away... but I think this might be a bit dodgy when, for example, the user sleeps their computer etc... which is also a problem for having a check every hour... if you woke up your computer half way into that hour just before the alarm was about to go it probably wouldn't work.

Although it's quite cool that gadgets are just webpages, I kinda wish they weren't since it's a bit hacky, and it would just be nicer and faster if apple had decided to use something like applescript... maybe.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.