Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

Problems making my widget, to display forum topics

nemesis256

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 - 11:21 pm    Post subject: Problems making my widget, to display forum topics Reply with quote

I'm trying to make a widget to display the latest posts at my forum. Here's the code I have in my html file
Code:
<div id="text"><script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://myforum.com/topics_anywhere.php?mode=show&f=a&n=10&r=y&b=non&lpb=0&ch=35"></script></div>

As you can see it's using topics anywhere. Now for the problem. The list of posts doesn't show up in dashboard when I run the widget. It works in Safari and Widgetarium though. Any ideas?

BTW, I know almost nothing on CSS and javascript. This widget is my first taste of both.
gandreas

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 - 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure that network access is allowed in the InfoPList.

However, your current design has some problems with it - you're telling the web view "here's some JavaScript to load from this URL", but that URL actually is a full web page.

You'd be better off using XMLHttpRequest to grab that, break the results apart and extract the results you want to display, and then set the innerHTML of the div to that.
nemesis256

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 - 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I allowed network access in the plist and it works! Thanks!

BTW the page I have isn't a "full" webpage, just text and links.
aristotle1990

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 - 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? You're saying the above code worked??? Are you serious? That doesn't look valid to me...how'd it end up like that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
nemesis256

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 - 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK maybe it doesn't quite work. There's 2 problems.

First, the links open up in the widget. How can I make it open in safari or the default browser?

Second, the topics don't update. How can I make it so it updates say every 5 minutes?
friedguy

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 - 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably going to have to go with gandreas' suggestion. All you are doing is making your widget a web browser (in a way).
nemesis256

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 - 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so how would I do that? Remember I'm a noob at this Razz
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.