Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

Snake Gadget: Thoughts and Comments

The Inn Keeper

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 - 7:45 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

So the re-worked version of the snake gadget is here. As always, stunning graphics. I had a look at the source, and there is some amazing coding under the hood to make a 'simple' snake game. Props to all involved.

Controls are much more responsive than the original gadget by Chris, however I find that quick movements are still sometimes missed. It seems to be that one key must be 'unpressed' before the next key can be pressed - that is, I can't press down then right, as the right key won't register until the down key is lifted. Makes sharp turns a bit tricky, but is no problem once I got used to it.

The mode selection is good, between classic and 2004. However I wonder what will happen next year, will it be forever known as '2004' mode? Perhaps 'Levels' would be more apt.

Chris

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 - 7:45 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Quoting: The Inn Keeper

Controls are much more responsive than the original gadget by Chris, however I find that quick movements are still sometimes missed

Yeah. This is a bit of a toughy. Basically, you can only do one movement and then the snake has to advance one block before another movement can be made... This is purely just so you can't double back on yourself and die. It's not an optimal solution, and it's one i've been looking hard at. I'll see what happens

The mode selection is good, between classic and 2004. However I wonder what will happen next year, will it be forever known as '2004' mode? Perhaps 'Levels' would be more apt.

heh. I thought of that too. I dunno what's going to happen with that - I'll let Rick decide, since it was his idea in the first place.

I had a look at the source, and there is some amazing coding under the hood to make a 'simple' snake game. Props to all involved.

Thanks - there's some bits I'm still not happy with, but it's getting there.

So what's your high score on classic? Rick got 111 apples! Couldn't believe - I still can't get above the mid 70's
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
esXXI

So the re-worked version of the snake gadget is here. As always, stunning graphics.

Thank you, kind Sir.

I had a look at the source, and there is some amazing coding under the hood to make a 'simple' snake game. Props to all involved.

Chris most definitely worked his arse off to get things working smoothly - he is, after all, the code-monkey genius!

I thought calling the level-ed mode - which was myyyy idea! - 2004 would be a nice contrast to the "Classic" name. One idea that cropped up for the 1.0 release would be to have completely different levels for each difficulty - I mean has anyone seen Lv13 yet? No-ones going to get that done on Hard, no matter about Insane!

Perhaps the first Snake update of í05, we'll rename it 2005-mode.
Chris

Quick question: has anyone who's used snake found any problems/issues with it? I know of one, which is rather major when it happens

These forums are stagnating a bit nowadays, no? Come on people!

p.s. Harald - FlipIt is truly inspired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.