Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Lounge
Goto page 1, 2  Next

What do you think of the iPod Nano?

BagOfHammers

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 - 10:08 pm    Post subject: What do you think of the iPod Nano? Reply with quote

The black version is quite exciting...I want to see a silver iPod (as in 60gb color iPod), so seeing the black color is both positive and negative. Positive because Apple isn't entirely against new colors, and negative because they chose black.

Hmm. What do you think?
jtbandes

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 - 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one (hopefuly I can tack the word "yet" on the end of that), but I think they're great! The only problem is that they don't have that other port the other iPods have, so you can't plug in a lot of accessories, like the iTalk voice recorder. Otherwise, they seem like the best thing since sliced Tiger! Wait a minute...

If you want color, check out this site.

BTW, congratulations to DBW for having 11123 users! How long will it take to get to 44456?
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 - 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought one yesterday and it's nothing short of amazing.
jtbandes

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 - 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhhh, you got one?!?!? Wow! What color? What size? What do you think?
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 - 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black 2GB though a 4GB is on the way. I originally went to the Apple Store to pick one up for iCompositions3's release but couldn't bear to walk out of there without one for myself. Now I just need to figure out what to do with this one when the 4GB arrives Razz
jtbandes

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 - 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you need one for iCompositions?
pm
Administrator

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 - 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll be a prize in the contest celebrating iC3's release.
BagOfHammers

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 - 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they certainly have a unique quality. In promotions, in contests, the iPod, especially the smaller, neater, more fashion-oriented ones, can be seen everywhere. I've even heard of companies that gave iPods out either to customers or employees. All the iPods are smart ideas, because by keeping the functionality simple, they can almost make "love for music" = "love for iPod", at least for stored music.

Is the nano the one with flash memory? Does that simply mean more durability and smaller size or does that also mean you can replace memory (that'd be amazing, if improbable)?

Thanks for the site, jtbandes, but I was really hoping for the kind of silver to mimic the aluminum powerbooks/powermacs. There have been some rumors but no materialization on such iPods, but I remain hopeful. Plus, it'd be nice if it could come from Apple directly....

I don't personally mind either way if Apple goes for the trendiness factor, but I'd also like to see them go towards the quality factor as well. Not that the nano is not high quality in terms of a product. But, the fact is that I would be able to fit about 12~15 albums max on the larger nano, if I use the quality I'm happy with. And I would either use audiophile headphones or good speakers. It would be kind of unbalanced, you know, to have 10 ounce speakers 20 times the size of the Nano hooked up to it with a 10 foot cord.

However, the majority of iPod users probably never bother replacing the included earbuds, which are not poor, but aren't really great either. Since they're fine with super-compressed quality, they probably can fit hundreds of tracks on the nano by using low bit rates. Still, it wasn't like the regular iPod was bulky or heavy, so why would one pay nearly as much for a fraction of the storage? Just the ultra-ultra portability?
IanTheMacFan
No longer registered

Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 - 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it. Here are the reasons:
•It's too small.
•It comes in less colors.
•It holds less music.
•Apple replaced the world's most popular MP3 player with one that will probably be less popular.
gck

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 - 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it will be successful, but it is certainly quite an innovative product. Besides all the talk about the oh-so-low capacity (well, people said the same about the mini when it was introduced), there isn't much to complain about. People also said that they would so like a shuffle with a small screen, and they basically got that plus even more functionality. And the price, oh well, as a mac user you can't really complain...

While the mini certainly is the most popular digital music player by now, I think the market is just saturated: Look around, 90% of the people you see on the street with those flashy white earbuds actually carry around a mini... Also, it seems as if anyone was trying to copy it, there are lots of cheapish, low quality players that come in colors, with a screen and a 6GB harddisk... from that point of view, it looks as if abandoning the mini was a good idea, now that the mini's features and form factors have become a de-facto standard...

Then again, I don't think you should look at any of the ipods separately, each of them has its own place: want it simple, just random-fill your shuffle, want to walk around in the streets or whatever, get your mini/nano, need to travel somewhere, pack your regular ipod... Also from this point of view I think abandoning the mini was clever, as the mini wasn't really that much smaller than the regular ipod.

Also, it looks really slick, and to be honest, that's probably the biggest reason peecee users made the ipods so popular in the first place (well, apart from the fact that those windows media whatever software sucks so much).
BagOfHammers

Posted: Sun Sep 11, 2005 - 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. And over time, they can probably fit more memory into any of those iPods. I wonder how long before a 100GB iPod or a 20GB Nano.
ryansals

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 - 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if anybody noticed, but the iPod mini had major problems. Moving parts and a super portable device just don't mix. The Nano will be more successful than the mini was. Many resellers are struggling to get rid of their remaining Mini stock because everyone is buying Nano's for the same price.
gnome
Administrator

Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 - 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it comes in more attractive colors, has no moving parts, has an insignificantly lower disk space (for me anyway) and is a more comfortable size than the mini was for me, it's only been a lack of money that's kept me from running to the store and buying one.

Oh, and my 3G iPod died the day it came out and I'd rather get a new one than pay for a battery replacement. But looks like I'm gonna be iPodless for some time now Sad

But it's funny. Apple releases a product in five colors, it's a huge hit, then the next generation comes in less colors and everybody cries out, why? But then it turns out that it's still a really cool, if not cooler, product. Sounds like the iPod mini is going the way of the iMac/iBook.
slashrose69

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 - 3:23 pm    Post subject: iPod Nano Reply with quote

do you think mac will ever reach the level of having iPod mini or nano sized ipods capable of holding 20 to 40 gbs of music.
jtbandes

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 - 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next