Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Capture Gadget, Amazing!

The Inn Keeper

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 - 4:33 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

So Chris came out with a gadget that wasn't a game. The world must be starting to orbit funny. And what a good idea for a gadget! At first when I saw it listed I thought 'eh, I can already use cmd-shift-3, cmd-shift-4, along with the ctrl key and space bar to do a range of functions. But one thing that never ceases to frustrate me about Apple's built in one, is that is saves in PDF, and always on the desktop.

Sure I could get a shareware program to do this differently, but what I want is so simple I don't want to clutter my system.

A dashboard gadget is perfect for this. Small, little footprint, always available. It's a little beauty, and I'm sure once more people get Tiger installed, the praises will come out for this tiny gadget. Well done Chris!!
wrx_13

Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 - 4:33 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Quoting: Cast Iron

I'd much prefer mini dropper to a pdf format in Capture

Seconded.
Chris

Whoa. I completely forgot about mini dropper. I'll get on that soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Cast Iron

Nah Chris, don't do it just for me. Especially if it's not supported the way you are converting the formats, I just figured it'd be supported same way as the rest. I'd much prefer mini dropper to a pdf format in Capture
Widgets
Chris

Yeah, I noticed that. However, sips doesn't handle converting to PDFs, so I'll have to come up with another way in order to do this... hmm...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Cast Iron

Newest version of Tiger saves screenshots as png by default, so perhaps the pdf function will be more useful now
Widgets
Chris

As for getting this to work with the ADC build, it's quite simple. Here's the steps on how to do it before I send jeremy an updated version:

ï Open up capture.html inside Capture.gadget and replace all occurrences of 'gadget' with 'widget'.
ï Open up Info.plist and change Capture.gadgetplugin to Capture.widgetplugin.
ï Rename Capture.gadget to Capture.wdgt
ï Rename Capture.gadgetplugin to Capture.widgetplugin (is anyone noticing a theme here? )
ï Open up the readme and follow the instructions, but instead put Capture.wdgt in /Library/Widgets and Capture.widgetplugin into /System/Library/WidgetPlugins

Should now work.
Jeremy
Administrator

Quoting: Chris OBrien

I wonder how long it'll take jer to make the top graphic say "Widgets. Lots of 'em"

Edit: he's done it already!

Oh I'm on the ball around here
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
Chris

Um. I would do if I knew what changes had to be made. My ADC select account should be coming through very soon, so I should have access to this build and then be able to make the changes.

I wonder how long it'll take jer to make the top graphic say "Widgets. Lots of 'em"

Edit: he's done it already!
Chris

You mean this game? Just found it with a quick google search

Edit: Just noticed Jeremy has changed the whole site to now use 'Widget' instead of 'Gadget'.
Chris

Ah - I didn't know that. I've only ever had brief shots on the WWDC build, hence the naming and instructions in the readme. I suppose they must be wrong now.

So has Apple now settled on calling them widgets instead of gadgets?
Chris

Um. Why would you rename it to .wdgt? just drag Capture.gadget to /Library/Gadgets and then install the plugin like it says in the readme.

I wonder how Apple is going change the install process for the final release of Tiger to make it easier.. :/
Cast Iron

Quoting: Chris OBrien

I didn't bother with PDF because it wasn't a format I ever wanted with my screen shots. Also, I never seen it as an option because it was OS X's native format - so why would Capture be needed? Although, I suppose it would be needed if you wanted to resize the PDF's...

thats okay dont do it just for me, its your gadget we are all different I guess coz I have never used a QTIF format before i hope the sips bug gets gone for you when tiger is released
Widgets
Chris

Um. I didn't bother with PDF because it wasn't a format I ever wanted with my screen shots. Also, I never seen it as an option because it was OS X's native format - so why would Capture be needed? Although, I suppose it would be needed if you wanted to resize the PDF's...

Actually, OK. I'll put it in as an option for the final release - and I'll also try and introduce GIF as a format. The reason it isn't there at the moment is because there seems to be a bug with sips - which is what capture uses to change the format of the default PDF's you get with screencapture
Cast Iron

Chris: Good gadget In the file types, are you able to also list PDF? I know that I could just use the apple one for PDF, but then it would be on the desktop again. Is this a possibility?
Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next