Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Central

How to install Widgets?

Walker

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 - 3:43 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Tiger's final release is coming closer (well, somewhat). How should we distribute our widgets? How do we make installation as easy as possible for the end user?

I noticed, that the GoBoard Game widget uses an installer. Did not like, that it needed the admin password. That should not be necessary.
Chris

Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 - 3:43 pm    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Quoting: Walker

Did not like, that it needed the admin password. That should not be necessary.

Yes it should. Plugins need to be owned by root.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Z

Does double-clicking a widget install it in newer builds of Tiger? It really should/will do that by the final version, just like Screensavers I think.

So for normal widgets, they should just come in a .zip, with a folder or widget + readme. For widgets that use plugins, they should use an installer. (IMHO)
Widgets
Walker

Quoting: Chris OBrien

Plugins need to be owned by root.

Since the plugins are being installed in the System folder. Usually I would never give a game (and probably any Widget) root access and would rather see it running with my local user rights.
Chris

It's not even just that - it seems that dragging the widget plugin into the system/library/widgetplugins folder and just authenticating as your admin account won't work. Needs to be owned by root.

I do agree that this seems strange. For what a plugin should be doing, it shouldn't need root access. Presumably it's something that will change...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Widgets
Walker

Quoting: Chris OBrien

Presumably it's something that will change...

Every day I am hoping for an updated Tiger preview build. Are gadgets really being called widgets now?
Chris

Quick point. I've just been watching the presentation form WWDC about widgets (or gadgets as they were then) and they mention that despite the plugin needing to be owned by root in order to run, it actually runs as the the user who executed it and not root. Also, the plugins don't need to be put into /System/Library/WidgetPlugins but can be just put in the widget bundle.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.