Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

Translator Widget Mockup (like Phil Schiller'

grabberslasher

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 - 3:46 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

I did a quick mockup of a translator widget to imitate the one Phil showed off in the Paris keynote. Hopefully I can get translate-as-you-type as well, but the only problem is finding a free web service that can translate en - sp - fr - ge, etc. Does anybody know of any?

cripen

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 - 3:46 am    Post subject: Imported from The Dashboader Reply with quote

Hey that's a good one! Every day I think we've already run out of good ideas for widgets, but then I see another. The only online translation service I use is Babelfish, however I think Fire and maybe Adium have some kind of build in open source language translation, for chatting with people in another language - maybe the widget could use a version of that?
grabberslasher

Ok, I've got most of the code sorted. All I need to do is parse html tags from a string...
cripen

Quoting: grabberslasher

Ok, I've got most of the code sorted. All I need to do is parse html tags from a string...

Walker

Good old Sherlock uses the services of Systran for the translations. Unfortunately not free for public as it seems.
grabberslasher

And we're done! Chris took my code and redid everything so only the idea and the images are mine now. lol

It translates after every punctuation mark. It can translate-as-you-type if you edit the code - it was decided to remove that by default so that BabelFish isn't flooded with a million requests a second.

http://grabberslasher.no-ip.com:81/widget/translate.zip
Walker

Sounds like Chris is doing 24/7 widget development. Well done guys!
Z

Link?
Widgets
grabberslasher

Quoting: Z

[function]

Erm - below the picture...?

Z

Oh, sorry, didn't see the link, I was looking in the widget archive...
Widgets
Z

Hmm, still doesn't seem to be there.
Widgets
grabberslasher

?? It works for me and others....
Z

The link works fine, I was just saying it still didn't seem to be in the widget archive. That's all
Widgets
grabberslasher

Oh no, I haven't sent an e-mail to Jeremy yet. lol
Jeremy
Administrator

Hi GrabberSlasher - mind if I post this to the main site?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.