Register for DashboardWidgets

Recent Forums Posts

Partners

iCompositions

MacDesktops.net

RSS Showcase
RSS Comments
RSS Forums

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Posted in: Widget Design

Colored menu items

purvisa

Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 - 5:04 pm    Post subject: Colored menu items Reply with quote

I have been poking about the net for information about how I can color items in menus, but everything I have tried on my own and every piece of code I try from sites I find fails to do the trick.

I am trying to get the last of the interface tweaks done on my Bridge Keeper widget so I can move from 0.9b to 1.0 final, but part of that involves coloring the (now symbolic) suits in the denomination menu. I need Diamonds and Hearts to be red (I may make NoTrump green as well, but that is hardly an issue once this first problem is solved).

I must say that I feel rather dumb asking a question that probably has a horribly simple answer, but for the life ofme, I can't make anything work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
CruftForce7

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 - 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking into this as well, and I've pretty much reached the conclusion that WebCore doesn't support this feature. My solution has been to create my own menus from scratch, but it's hard to do this properly given some of the limitations of event handling in widgets. If someone here knows of a slick way of making colored menu items, it would be great to hear about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Widgets
purvisa

Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 - 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have one menu being built in BridgeKeeper based upon the selected value of another. To do that, I am assigning values to the text values of the select object's array elements, which in straight HTML is just the text that follows the <option> tag. While the <option> tag will not accept any code (even an id) in HTML, I am planning to try something interesting when I get some time:

I want to see if formatted text can be inserted into that array by Javascript by assigning it to specific array elements. If that is possible, it might be a workaround to the problem for people who want to keep using lean code and who don't mind or who prefer the default menu appearance.

This, for any admins who pop in, is precisely the kind of stuff that would be great to identify and place in a code library on the site, provided the people supplying answers (not what I wrote above, but whatever people might suggest that would solve the problem elegantly) grant permission or the solution is otherwise found in general use. A FAQ is all well and good, but a code library to address various issues—and this community has addressed many quite effectively—would speed a great number of coders along the path to developing more and better widgets.

Just my editorial view. Carry on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Widgets
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.